FORUMS: list search recent posts

dark pixels added on border / edge of text

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Hatch
dark pixels added on border / edge of text
on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:17:26 am

* Mac Computer
* Photoshop CS4 (11.0.2), DVD Studio Pro 4 (4.2.2)
* Source File: PNG Images from PSD (RGB/8) files
* Destination: Standard NTSC DVD (Anamorphic)
* 720x480, 1.21 Pixel Aspect Ratio, 16:9

I have created a PSD file for a menu for a standard NTSC DVD. I save the PSD file as a PNG, then bring it into DVD Studio Pro and use it as my background layer. When I simulate it, in DVD Studio Pro, everything looks good. However, once I build the DVD, dark pixels are added around the edge/border of the small text of the background layer on the menu. I'm noticing this problem on a computer screen.

This may also be happening to other graphic elements which are not small, but it is less noticeable with them. In my specific scenario, the problem is with white text over red and the red is quite bright. Perhaps this is expected, but I'd like to see if someone knows any more about it.
I have tried several things to fix it, but to no avail. For what it's worth, it also seems to have the same effect when I do it with video. If I use the same graphic with video files (ProRes HQ), they look great when played in QT player, but once I bring those same files into FCP, then the viewer and canvas show the problem that my DVD menu has after I build my DVD.

I even see it in the viewer/canvas when working in ProRes4444, but once I export the file in ProRes4444, the exported file looks great. Is this just 444 (ProRes4444) vs 422 (ProResHQ) vs 420 (DVD)? I hope I've given enough info that someone could give me a suggestion or tell me why it will never work for what I'm trying to do.

I'd love to include images in this post, but I'm not sure how to do that. Perhaps as links? I have scaled up these images so that you can see the difference.

http://www.cosmicpictures.net/textissue/before.jpg

http://www.cosmicpictures.net/textissue/after.jpg

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Hatch
Re: dark pixels added on border / edge of text
on Dec 3, 2010 at 1:27:31 am

I'm often the first one to reply to my posts because I forget to mention a few things.

I didn't mention that the software I am using to view test the DVDs and in which I'm seeing this problem is DVD Player. It should also be noted that I am seeing the problem on two different MacBook Pro screens (1440x900) and not on the Dell 24 inch monitor (1920x1200) connected to my Mac Pro. I have no idea why there is a discrepancy there.

Any takers?

Mark Hatch
Cosmic Pictures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]