FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long / sometimes hanging compression times in Apple Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Fox
Long / sometimes hanging compression times in Apple Compressor
on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:12:34 am

Hi

I've recently installed the Final Cut Studio suite having upgraded from FCE. Part of the allure was having a dedicated piece of compression software at my disposal, but after a week I'm tearing my hair out!

I have made several attempts to compress a 34 minute slideshow created in and exported from FCP with limited success. I had tried to send the sequence direct to Compressor from FCP but abandoned this after several failures. The 6.78GB source file is stored on a G-Tech G-RAID 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive which I use for video (connected via eSATA).

I have successfully managed to export a WMV version of the slideshow using Flip4Mac in Compressor but it took 15 hours! The second job (to create a YouTube version for my client) after 24 hours after it froze midway through. The subsequent re-starts wouldn't start at all. Instead, they kept showing a remaining time of --:--:--. After reading the forums here, I reset background processes and it seemed to start running again. It took 10 hours but has just frozen at approximately 95% which is incredibly annoying.

My two questions are:
1. should a 34 minute video take over 10 hours to compress (logic and past experience - using Avid/Sorenson Squeeze - tells me not)?
2. why the hanging?

One final issue, since installing Final Cut Pro Studio, my 18-month-old MacBook seems slower, particularly when running FCP, Motion and Compressor. I did not experience any of these problems running FCE and I was assured my MacBook Pro was more than adequate to run FCP.

Any help immensely appreciated.
Geoff

My set up is:
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo 2.66Ghz 4GB memory running OS 10.5.8
I have 65GB of the MacBook's 300GB hard drive free.
The 6.78GB source file is stored on a G-Tech G-RAID 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive connected via eSATA to the MacBook Pro and has over 1TB of free capacity remaining. This is also the destination for the destination file.
Compressor 3.5.3
Source file: mov 1920x1080 6.78GB
Destination file: YouTube Sharing Template (H.264 video at 8 Mbps with AAC, Width and Height: Up to 1280 x 720, Selected: 1280 x 720, Pixel aspect ratio: Square, Crop: None, Padding: Preserve source aspect ratio)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]