FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Prores 422 and XDCAM HD Compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Sauermilch
Apple Prores 422 and XDCAM HD Compression
on Nov 18, 2010 at 8:17:53 pm

Hello All,

I have a question regarding compression codecs. Specifically XDCAM HD compression as well as apple prores 422.

I have been editing Sony Ex3 footage and when I compress it with the XDCAM HD 108024p codec some clients of mine have issues opening it in quicktime. Why is that?

Also, I know it is suggested that I compress using the apple prores 422 codec but the file size becomes way to large. Is there a way to lower the file size? Or is there another codec I could use that is equal in quality and low in size?

Any information/advice would be very appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Adam S.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Apple Prores 422 and XDCAM HD Compression
on Nov 18, 2010 at 8:49:18 pm

[Adam Sauermilch] "I have been editing Sony Ex3 footage and when I compress it with the XDCAM HD 108024p codec some clients of mine have issues opening it in quicktime. Why is that?"

Why are you compressing XDCAM EX to XDCAM HD? That's going to be a quality hit for sure.
Your clients don't have XDCAM codec installed.

[Adam Sauermilch] "Also, I know it is suggested that I compress using the apple prores 422 codec but the file size becomes way to large."

Actually the file size is just right. Hard drives are cheap and getting cheaper. ProRes playback is freely available for Mac and Windows, Final Cut Pro not needed.

[Adam Sauermilch] "Is there a way to lower the file size?"

Use ProRes LT. I'm guessing the entire ProRes codec line is available cross platform although I haven't tested this.

[Adam Sauermilch] "Or is there another codec I could use that is equal in quality and low in size?"

For what purpose? Editing? Viewing only?
Apple designed ProRes to give nearly uncompressed quality with very efficient compression compared to uncompressed formats in the post production workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]