FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to get a video file from FCP to handbrake for custom compression?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Handford
Best way to get a video file from FCP to handbrake for custom compression?
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:48:19 pm

Hi all! I use Handbrake to transcode video files or dvd structures to mp4 AVC for online streaming (RTMP)purposes. A film was sent to me right after post-production in Pro Res format. As you may know Handbrake doesn't work with Pro Res, so I used the encoder "Super" which gets the job done but without a great result, probably also because I'm less use to it. The thing is I don't use nor have Final Cut and therefore don't know what other format I can recommend to my client so that it renders a video file I can use in Handbrake to transcode.
Could you recommend the best video file format in which should be compressed the video file out of FCP so that I can make my own transcode in Handbrake?
Thank you so much for your help!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Best way to get a video file from FCP to handbrake for custom compression?
on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:14:02 am

Why not use the x264 Quicktime component instead?

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/x264encoder.html

Return to posts index

Timothy Handford
on Nov 18, 2010 at 9:19:10 am

Yes thought of this solution, but it is ok to go from this x264 file to create the other files I need (quality wise)?
In any case I need to make the final distribution files myself. I guess can ask for a high quality x264 file and start from there, like(for an SD video) start from 720x576 >3mbits file; what do you think?
Thank you for your feedback!

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:37:04 pm

I think Daniel meant for you to use the x264Encoder component on the ProRes file you've been sent. If you don't have Quicktime Pro you can use it via MPEG Streamclip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]