1080i 23.98 to SD DVD for PAL viewing

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan say
1080i 23.98 to SD DVD for PAL viewing
on Nov 16, 2010 at 7:52:06 pm

Hi there,

I need some help exporting a film i've been given to SD DVD for PAL

Before anyone says anything - I have already tried the command+R good read while rendering technique and it's not working for me. I've also tried a few other suggestions I've found on the forums here but nothing seems to do the trick.
if this has been answered already - i apologise - if you could just post the link that would be great.

At this point I'll mention that the footage looks great in FCP and great on export to mov and generally awesome on the computer screen.

When I export this to DVD, however, it comes out unclear and fuzzy, almost pixelated in places. The close up/mid shots seems come out OK (for the most part). The long shots are the really bad ones. I appreciate you do lose quality going to SD, but not this bad.

I have tried sending straight to compressor from FCP, making a self contained and un-self contained mov to go to compressor. in compressor i've tried the best quality 90 mins setting with variation depending on which technique/tutorial i have read.

Here are the details:

The footage was shot on canon 7d and 5d.

I'm in PAL land so that will be the DVDs final viewing point.

The FCP timeline (after I click yes to automatically adjusting) is this:
Frame size 1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9)
pixel aspect ration - square
field dominance (greyed out) none
editing time base: 23.98
compressor: apple prores 422, quality 100%
audio settings: rate-48kHz, depth 16-bit, config - channel grouped

If anyone could help me out on this i would be really grateful.
The deadline is coming up and it's driving me nuts. I'm sure I'm missing something really basic but just have a massive blind spot.

thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]