FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor quality changes with clip length

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Loughner
Compressor quality changes with clip length
on Nov 15, 2010 at 3:23:37 pm

Hello,

Im on a max OSX 10.6.5, compressor 3.5.3, FCP 7.0.3.

I am taking footage off the SONY XDCAM, running it through the XDCAM Transfer software and having it wrapped in quicktime so i can edit in FCP. The project was filmed in HD 1280x720, XDCAM HD422, 720p60(50 mb/s).

The destination is SD DVD.

Problem- Since going from HD to SD can be a bit tricky, I made a half dozen sample compression clips. I found that the compressor DVD 90min Best quality preset with a slight bitrate change to look the best. When I compress the 3 minute clip, it looks really great. But when I compress the entire sequence (only 83 minutes.. well within the 90 minute preset) it looks like garbage. The difference is night and day. What is the issue? suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
Re: Compressor quality changes with clip length
on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:19:01 pm

Compressor is a wonderful program but HD to SD conversion for DVD can be consistently inconsistent.

One work-around I have found success with is to put the HD in an appropriate SD sequence and render accordingly. Then export to Compressor for DSP.

Try a test with 60 seconds of the most complex footage.

The last resort option and ultimately time consuming one would be to do the SD conversion via a Kona card to tape and then roll it back in.

Return to posts index

Brian Loughner
Re: Compressor quality changes with clip length
on Nov 17, 2010 at 2:54:33 am

Brad,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to keep ya updated. I havent had consistent results with compressor. Instead of going from a Kona card to tape im going from a Konda Card to a blackmagic SDI card and capture into fcp again. Ill let you know how it works. I probably should have done this in the first place. Thanks!

-Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]