FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding DV to Apple ProRes

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashish Sharma
Encoding DV to Apple ProRes
on Nov 12, 2010 at 8:02:56 pm

Hello,

I have a decades worth of DV 29.97fps footage & I need to make it work w/ new Apple ProRes HD & SD footage in FCP (sequence settings are 29.97 feild dom upper apple pro 720x480 pixel ratio square).

I thought it would be best to compress all the DV footage via Compressor to Apple prores 29.97 Native Field Upper... so all my media will match my sequence settings in FCP, but I am having major interlacing issues when I compress the media via Compressor. I've tried a number of different combination's from deinter odd/even, frame control best, better, fast... ect and nothing is making the footage look clean.

My final output for now is making a DVD w/ the content, but I need to create a work flow that will adapt well when we no longer use DVD's and have moved to an HD work flow.

If anyone has any tips compressing DV footage to apple prores that would be great. I'm open to using different software, but don't have the budget for programs like cinemacraft.

Thanks,
AS

--
FCP studio 6.0.6
Mac Pro Quad

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Encoding DV to Apple ProRes
on Nov 12, 2010 at 11:55:28 pm

Why not just use the DV originals for any SD work? No sense degrading the image further to use a particular codec for SD work.

Up-rezzing DV encoded footage to ProRes HD is going to look like dog poo and since you're resizing it's not surprising you would have field issues. You would just have to play around until you get the least objectionable encode.

Apple's White Paper on their web-site only talks about HD through the whole paper...but I found some forum discussions on Apple and Final Cut forums about ProRes SD ...so guess it's possible to go to that. I don't see the advantage for SD footage though.

http://images.apple.com/finalcutstudio/resources/white_papers/L342568A_ProR...

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Ashish Sharma
on Nov 13, 2010 at 12:18:25 am

Thanks Chris, the problem I'm having is that I need to edit ProRes HD, Prores SD and DV footage in one time line. If i could I would keep them separate, but I need to find a common encoding setting so they all fit in my time line.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 14, 2010 at 10:38:46 pm

Chris is totally right, but at the end of the day, what are you outputting to?

Return to posts index

Ashish Sharma
on Nov 15, 2010 at 6:46:06 pm

Maybe I am missing something, or possibly not explaining my situation clearly.

Currently we are exporting the content for WEB & DVD's, but I doubt we still use DVD's in the next couple years.

First, I'm not compressing the content DV to Prores HD. I am keeping the original resolution of 720x486.

My concern is that DV has native fields lower, and Prores is Upper or None. I compress Upper (let me know if you should compress none). My Sequence settings in Final cut are 29.97fps Upper Field.

When I mix the DV files w/ prores in my time line, FCP starts doing funky things to the media like adding the shift fields filter creating a strange flickr. To keep everything congruent I thought compressing my DV content to SD prores so my fields match would be a solution, but is makes some older footage look horribly interlaced.

WHEN I USE COMPRESSOR THE FILES LOOK INTERLACED, BUT WITH MPEG STREAMCLIP THEY LOOK OK/GOOD. THE PROBLEM IS I NEED TO BATCH COMPRESS THE FILES, SINCE WE'RE LOOKING @ A TOTAL OF 3000 DV SPOTS THAT NEED TO WORK W/ THE NEWER HD PRORES CONTENT WE ARE RECEIVING.

I hope this, makes more sense. Thanks for all your help.

-AS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]