FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Time remaining feature woefully wrong

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bayliss-Smith
Compressor Time remaining feature woefully wrong
on Nov 10, 2010 at 12:16:47 pm

Can anyone tell me why the time remaining feature on compressor is so woefully inaccurate? Is there a logical explanation for this? Does it have soemthing to do with Audio being half the job?

thx

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Compressor Time remaining feature woefully wrong
on Nov 10, 2010 at 1:26:43 pm

Hi James,

I have noticed this too and audio seems to be the culprit. Depending on the order you place the audio/video settings, the top one will go first. Open Batch Monitor and expand the job to see both video and audio. View the progress and observe the difference between it's and Compressors "time remaining".

Example:

Video is first, Batch Monitor shows the remaining time for the video to be 2 min and time remaining for the whole job (video and audio) to be 4 min. Meanwhile Compressor shows time remaining for the whole Job to be 4 min. When the video finishes Batch Monitor shows time elapsed to be 2 min (click the little magnifying glass). Audio begins to encode with the remaining 2 min but finishes in 15 seconds.

So it seems that while encoding the video first, Compressor "assumes" that the audio is actually video and will take just as long as the video it is currently working on.

The above example is based from my experience encoding a 1 min prores clip sent from FCP with Matrox MAX encoding 1920x1080 for Blu-ray. The numbers were rounded for ease of explanation.

Best,
Dave
PSV

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Nov 11, 2010 at 1:55:59 am

Thanks for your answer Dave, I understand your point but I don't see a distinction in Batch monitor for video and audio. Mine just says time remaining and the time remaining for the job is the same weather I expand it or not. I also do not see a magnifying glass anywhere.

I'm using compressor version 3.5.3

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:34:17 am

So I've just finished compressing something. It took 5 hours 41 minutes. The last time I checked it had been going for 5 hours 20 minutes was 41% complete and had 7 hours 20 odd minutes remaining. The amount of time remaining steadily rose from the beginning onwards. I was checking regularly because I wanted to see what happened once it reached 50% and therefore would start compressing the audio. It appears to have reached the audio before it even reached the 50% mark. I can't be sure of this as I wasn't watching it. Nevertheless it appears to have behaved something like you explained. SO my next question is why do they bother? It's so inaccurate to be a joke. I guess If I was just compressing audio or video it would be more accurate. Do other programmes behave in this way?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 15, 2010 at 1:01:58 pm

Thanks for your answer Dave, I understand your point but I don't see a distinction in Batch monitor for video and audio. Mine just says time remaining and the time remaining for the job is the same weather I expand it or not. I also do not see a magnifying glass anywhere.

No problem James, I failed to mention that Batch Monitor only shows Audio and Video separately if the Job consists of individual Audio and Video settings. As in the Dolby Digital "Auto" and Matrox MAX "For Blu-ray" settings I was using (which is what I meant by "depending on the order you place the setting's, the top one goes first" in my previous post). A setting that does both Audio and Video in one, only shows as one. The "magnifying glass" I mentioned is in Compressor, it's the "reveal in Finder" button and is irrelevant, not sure what I was thinking there...

It was interesting that, with the settings you used, the time remaining acted in a manner consistent with my "video file first" example. At least it's consistent in it's inaccuracy, right?

As Daniel said, they just guess, and I just guess that it's because the program can't "know" all the information of the clip before it gets there to encode it. I think we'll be waiting until Quantum Computing is perfected for that solution, I predict that the phenomenon of Superposition will be the end all cure to your Time Remaining Feature woes. :p

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 14, 2010 at 10:47:27 pm

You will not be able to find a coding application that can report timings correctly. They all use estimates with some guesswork - it's impossible to be accurate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]