FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncompressed Conversion Interlacing hell!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Spangler
Uncompressed Conversion Interlacing hell!
on Nov 10, 2010 at 5:22:03 am

I am trying to export 4 minute clip of 10 bit uncompressed video (NTSC (CCIR 601) at 29.97 fps from Final Cut Pro 6.0.6.

I would like to convert it with Quicktime Conversion into some other codec for internet streaming. Every codec and setting I have used so far has left me with interlacing, no matter how many times I check de-interlacing boxes.

Does anyone have a solution for me?

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Uncompressed Conversion Interlacing hell!
on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:46:42 pm

We'd need a lot more information about your source file and the settings and software and work flow you're using. My guess would be that you're checking de-interlacing but also checking that the file be exported as interlaced instead of progessive, but that's a HUGE guess given the lack of info.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Bruce Spangler
on Nov 11, 2010 at 7:29:50 pm

Thanks Chris,

The source is film which I assume was then put through telecine. This was made into a Digi-Beta master for broadcast. I asked my post house to give me a digital master from the Digi-Beta master so I can use it to re-cut my director's reel. They gave me a 10 bit Uncompressed file of my feature.

I want my reel to be hosted on Vimeo for streaming. I am using Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 and have been cutting with the 10 bit Uncompressed footage. I adjusted all of my FCP settings for 10 bit, cut a few scenes together and now want to export to a format that will work to stream on-line.

I did try using Compresser but could not get it to accept the footage for conversion with the TeleCine setting. I have also tried to export directly out of FCP with QT conversion using various codecs in QT and checked "de-interlace" with no success. I can not find where to set a conversion for "progressive," in the codecs I tried - (H264 and Mpeg-4 Video are two I tried).

Is this something that can't be done with FCP and Compressor? I have also tried using Mpeg Streamclip with no success. Do I need to purchase some other third party de-interlacing / de-Telecine software?

Any advice at all would be great.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Nov 12, 2010 at 1:48:56 am

Bruce Spangler wrote: The source is film which I assume was then put through telecine.

You need to confirm what your source material is first. It may not have been telecined and may very well be digitized at 24P. I believe Quicktime will tell you everything you need to know (Final Cut probably will too) about the clips or file.

Next, when you find out what the source material is, check your project settings.... specifically whether it's progressive or interlaced and what frame rate.

Bottom line, your project in Final Cut should match your footage specs. Then when you go to export (regardless of what you use), you'll be doing it from an informed perspective, knowing whether your footage/project is progressive already or interlaced.

The 10 bit stuff is irrelevant to your problem.

Others that work with Final Cut daily might be able to offer more insight too.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 14, 2010 at 10:49:54 pm

I would like to convert it with Quicktime Conversion into some other codec for internet streaming.

Use compressor - QT conversion is shit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]