FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG consistent stutter..

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Gulbrandson
MPEG consistent stutter..
on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:39:40 pm

Did some searching, wasn't able to find anything about this... maybe you can help.

I'm experiencing a weird issue when playing MPEG videos. Lemme give you a little background info

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
8GB RAM
7.5 Tb combined HHD space ( 7200rpm WD drives)
2x Nvidia 8800 GT (SLI disabled (3monitors))

The Problem: Just recently, my computer has been consistently stuttering MPEG playback for known-good video files.. The stutter is a 'hiccup' of the audio & video that occurs at the same exact time, regardless of which player I'm using

This issue just started recently. I use CS5 media encoder to output an MPEG file. I playback the file using Media Player Classic. Video clip will stutter or hiccup, causing a drop-frame sorta thing and audio drop-out.. this occurs at the same time in the video, say 0:21 seconds, and never moves... even if i try a different player like Adobe media player or windows media player.. the 'hiccup' occurs at the same time during playback.

I was beating my head against the desk thinking my MPEG compression was at fault.. I rendered the same video out to AVI and it played back perfectly. Took that AVI and re-rendered an MPEG off of it, still has hiccups..

So.. I transfered the videos w/ issues to another computer... and guess what... NO PROBLEM.. video plays back perfect. No hiccups..

So clearly this is a playback issue on my machine... the question is, how to fix it and what made it start occuring?

Recently, the only major things I've installed was software for Java Programming and development (the latest JDK, Eclipse, as well as the Android SDK & stuff)

I reinstalled the latest K-lite codecs, MPC, and 64-bit codecs.. issue still there.. I cleaned my HDD's and defraged.. still there...

any thoughts??

thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: MPEG consistent stutter..
on Nov 6, 2010 at 4:52:01 pm

Jon Gulbrandson: ...reinstalled the latest K-lite codecs, MPC, and 64-bit codecs.. issue still there.. I cleaned my HDD's and defraged.. still there...

You listed your problem right in your post. Those codec packs are a big "no-no" in a professional environment. They install all sorts of old...odd and buggy codecs and filters.

My guess is it included an old version of FFMPEG or some iteration of that, and it's now controlling your MPEG video playback using it's codecs.

And no offense, but why on earth are you using Media Player Classic? There are loads of better media players out there, VLC, KMPlayer, SMPlayer, Zoom Player to name a few (most are free).

First thing I'd do is download VLC and try playback. It uses it's own internal codec engine so won't use FFMPEG or any of the k-lite codecs for decoding...and see what you get. If it plays back smooth, you've found your problem. If it stutters in the same place, then it's something else.

If VLC (or other media players) play the file without issue, then uninstall k-lite. Next, check playback in other media players that were stuttering. If you still have the stutter, check to see if FFMPEG is still on your system. If it is, you can either go into it's settings, go to the decode list of codecs and disable FFMPEG codecs for all MPEG playback (usually the libavcodec). Now check playback, if all is smooth, you're done. If it still stutters, uninstall ALL iterations of FFMPEG.

Now check playback. One of two things will now happen. The file won't play back at all (because an appropriate codec is missing) or it will play back smoothly.

If it doesn't play at all, then download the latest version of FFMPEG (just search for it), install it, then retry. If you get stuttering again, search for MPEG2 codecs online or find a freebie software DVD player application. This will install an MPEG2 codec for playing back those. Disable MPEG2 codecs in FFMPEG, but allow FFMPEG to control playing back MPG4 files for you, shouldn't cause a problem with those.

Report back and let us know your results so others can benefit from this.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Jon Gulbrandson
on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:10:48 pm

Thank you for your insight. I don't know why I got into the habit of installing these codecs, probably some mis-information way back down the road.

Anyways, I installed VLC, and the problem is gone. I can only assume that you were correct and these k-lite codecs/MPC are crummy.

Thanks so much! I'll make sure to stay far away from k-lite in the future. Do you foresee any future problems by having these codecs installed?

Thanks again!
- jon

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 14, 2010 at 11:00:34 pm

[Jon Gulbrandson] "I reinstalled the latest K-lite codecs, "

Doh!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]