I have edited several weddings on my mac power book with snow leopard, FCP 7 and compressor. Shot with Sony Z7U & Sony EX1 at 1080i/60i. I have a Matrox Mini with Max attached to my computer as well. When I try to export in any form BIG, BIG issues occur. I export using Quicktime Conversion OR Quicktime and settings are current I also sent out the way I'v done over the past year and that doesn't work!! I also have QT 10 and added QT 7 several weeks ago.
Two days ago the movies would export and then crash in compressor when I try to downconvert to SD. Now they don't even export from my FCP timeline (taking 30 hours to export) and Compressor won't even recognize the .mov file (doesn't even attempt to compress). I have attempted to send out the file as Apple Pro Res from FCP, but the file gets very dark as a QT movie and I can't use it. I have trouble shot with Matrox and it hasn't worked.
I'm at y wits end because I don't want to uninstall FCP (have 4 versions from FCP one and up). Should I dump preferences in FCP or just throw my computer out the window!!!!
I am running out of time as my couples are getting VERY impatient.
If i was in the same situation the first thing I would probably do is:
1) Delete any scratch or temp files, then try again.
2) Export to a different drive
3) Create a new fcp project and then import the project and/or sequence from the possibly corrupted project into the new one and try to export again.
4) If that all failed I might look at recapturing the content and replacing the media used, I believe you can do this and keep all the cuts in place.
5) Lastly I would I would uninstall FCP, making sure ALL files are completely deleted. look here for tips on making sure its all gone, http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/958085
6)if none of those works and the project is just too big to re-edit quickly, i'd back up the projects using the project backup feature (dont specifically remember the name in fcp), wipe the mac entirely and reinstall everything, starting with OS, do all O/S updates, then FCP suite and all FCP updates, reload the project and see if it works then.
That may or may not be the way to go, but i've had to do it in the past, at the end of the day it may be quicker to simply re-edit, consider if the project is totally corrupted, can you edit it just as quick as following all those steps, something to think about.