FORUMS: list search recent posts

Episode Pro vs Bitvice?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Cline
Episode Pro vs Bitvice?
on Oct 23, 2010 at 1:04:36 pm

I'm about to do a lot of encoding of MPEG-2 files to run on BrightSign HD210 media players. This is for a media installation, and the displays are all 1080p LCD monitors. I've tested Compressor and Squeeze, now looking for (hopefully better) alternatives and looking at Episode Pro and Bitvice. Can anyone sway me one way or the other? I've run demos of both and am still unable to make a final decision of which one to purchase. Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Luke Cline
Re: Episode Pro vs Bitvice?
on Oct 23, 2010 at 3:56:57 pm

Update to my post and what I'm CURRENTLY using, per Craig Seeman's recs on how to get fastest compression help...

* Computer - Mac

* Operating system - OSX 10.6.4

* Software used - Compressor 3.5.3 and/or Squeeze 6.0.2.41

* Source codec - Pro Res 422

* Destination codec - MPEG2 transport stream

* Type of destination use - BrightSign HD210 media player

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 23, 2010 at 6:22:02 pm

For HD MPEG2 I'm not sure compressor isn't enough. Also it seems that the BrightSign HD210 has a maximum 25mbit playback so be sure to account for audio if you have it. But HD transport streams at high bitrates should look great out of compressor.

At low SD bitrates (like 3mbps or less) you get a better encode with BitVice, but for HD videos especially coming from a codec like ProRes they should look great.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Luke Cline
on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:47:08 pm

Rich, thanks. So you think Bitvice does a better job of SD encodes? Very interesting.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 26, 2010 at 8:36:27 pm

Episode 6 has improved MPEG2 encoding over Episode 5 as it now uses MainConcept for MPEG2 (as well as MPEG1 and H.264). You really need to compare with Episode 6 and not Episode 5.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]