FORUMS: list search recent posts

confusion about TV mpeg2 ad specs

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stu aull
confusion about TV mpeg2 ad specs
on Oct 5, 2010 at 6:46:15 am

forgive an old betacam-tape-to-the-stations guy:
Jumping head first into the New Way (?) of getting TV ads to stations, which I understand is via an Mpeg2 format. Folks here using Adobe Premier to create these files, but we are a FCP house, so I am hoping to use Apple Compressor to do this...

Its sounds like I am to use a combo of DVD-spec Mpg2 and AIFF audio which I then mux (??) to combine into one emailable file. Does this sound right? Can I create the best-quality file type (what IS the file type?) in Compressor, or is there some elegant software that will do a better job w/o a degree in software engineering?!

Sending SD and HD ads out for national use, so hopefully there is a reasonably universal standard?
Drowning in CBRs, muxing, streaming bitrates, et al!!

Not sure what Qs to ask, but any references or info would be MUCH appreciated.
cheers from Alaska
Stu Aull

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: confusion about TV mpeg2 ad specs
on Oct 5, 2010 at 12:30:05 pm

TV Stations generally want MPEG-2 Program Stream or MPEG-2 Transport Stream. This is not DVD. You must get exact specs from them. Do not guess or you may waste time.

I use DGFastchannel and Telestream Episode. In some cases (such as Comcast) I deliver directly but they still supply specs (which are similar to DG's).

You can create a custom setting for MPEG-2 Program or Transport Stream in Compressor. Create Generic MPEG-2 setting and under the Extras tab you can select Multiplexed MPEG-2/Layer 2 Audio and then either the Transport stream or Program stream.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:01:29 pm

To simplify the process you could use a digital delvery service such as Extreme Reach. They accept Apple ProRes quicktime or Avid DNxHD quicktime.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Oct 6, 2010 at 1:02:47 am

The downside to using services like Extreme Reach and DG is that it's more expensive and adds more encoding passes and administrative work to the process.

If you encode and deliver via FTP yourself...it basically involves 2 steps (encoding and uploading) and you charge your client accordingly. If you involve Extreme Reach, DG, Vyvx or others, you still do those first two steps (and charge for it), but your spot will then likely get re-encoded and resent, or worse, it could get dumped to analogue tape then shipped in tape format. Quality DOES suffer from our experience with these services.

Plus, you'll charge your client your fee, and then have to charge the digital delivery services fee, which is typically $25-$35 per spot....and you'll want to mark that up because you (or someone in your company) WILL spend precious time doing administrative work communicating with the digital service, going over billing etc.

We've had loads of billing issues with a couple of these services that ranged from minor annoyances to utter disasters...with rampant overbilling and general incompetence on the part of one of these services (that shall remain nameless). For my money...if you can keep it in-house and handle the technical requirements, that's the way to go.

The only time these services make sense is when you have a few spots that need to go to many, many locations...like when a client buys local affiliates or cable in many different markets. In that case, it's more economical and efficient than sending yourself.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

stu aull
on Oct 6, 2010 at 3:17:30 am

Thanks for the inside scoop Blair. I totally agree on maintaining as much control over the ad as possible. Unfortunately we are dealing with a national organization doing numerous ad campaigns nation-wide so we are a Cog-in-the-Wheel on this one!

But your advice is sound and we will apply it on our regional client use.

Still getting conflicting info on what constitutes the best/useable quality ad formating and file layout. Surprised this issue hasn't (??) appeared in weblogs and various forums before. Seems like an unavoidable issue for most post houses at some point!?

my thanks to all here in shedding some light

regards
Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 8, 2010 at 8:06:21 pm

To address Chris's comments on DG and Extreme Reach, the problem we have encountered with direct FTP delivery is that they all have different specs. Some are 5 seconds of slate, 2 seconds black then spot, and others are no black or slate, just the spot. Some want the filename to be very specific with date and title etc in them.

What's nice about DG is that I only need to encode one file and send it to many stations. This is actually much less work than using the direct via FTP method. Preparing 4 different timelines and then encoding four different files and then naming each one differently, keep track of them all and upload to four different FTP sites, then track with the station that they got them and that they play on their server....bah humbug...

DG Fastchannel for me.

To address Stu, most of my stations will take H264 direct as well...find out if they will too. Much easier.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]