FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to convert HDV to an SD format and crop image at same time?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Cockfield
Best way to convert HDV to an SD format and crop image at same time?
on Sep 24, 2010 at 4:09:44 am

I have some HDV footage that needs to be cropped (crew in edge of shot)and final delivery is in SD (to be broadcast in PAL country 16:9 aspect ratio).

We're editing in Avid with an SD timeline (mostly IMX50 and DV). Unless I find a better way it will be hardware converted to SD before it goes into Avid and then cropped afterwards.

I was wondering whether there was a conversion method (HDV to DV)that could incorporate the crop and rather than using the full frame. I have access to Avid and FCS 2.

Or, would I be better off, dropping it into a different timeline as HDV, cropping it, and then exporting an SD version?

Or, is it all just much of a muchness

Thanks!

Josh

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Best way to convert HDV to an SD format and crop image at same time?
on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:38:12 pm

In assuming that you want to go from HD 16x9 to SD 4x3 letterbox (?), you could use Compressor to make your SD files with a crop. Here's how.

As an example, I have dropped into Compressor a 16x9 file that looks like this:

and I want to crop out the side where the off-screen player's stick blade is. I set up a preset to transcode to ProRes, using Frame Controls On and Resize to Best. And then in Geometry, start by setting it up like this:

This tells Compressor that you want the resulting file to be 16x9 letterbox picture area inside a 4x3 frame, and that you want it to be 720x486. Dragging the preset on to the clip will allow you to set a crop in the Preview window, like this:

Note that the value changes in the inspector, as seen here:

Figure out each value that changes in the source cropping and then go back to your preset and add them in and save. Then you can batch process all your clips and they will be source-cropped to remove your crew and resized to fit a 16x9 space inside a 4x3 frame at 720x486.

If you really wanted anamorphic instead, just remove the part in the inspector under Output Image Inset and the resize will happen to fill the whole 4x3 frame.

Return to posts index

Josh Cockfield
Re: Best way to convert HDV to an SD format and crop image at same time?
on Sep 27, 2010 at 5:44:57 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for such a detailed response. I was actually after SD with a 16:9 ratio as my final product. Sorry, I think my question was confusing. Anyway I just saw a rough cut and I think I can live without the vision. The sound guy is just too far into frame. Again though, thanks for the tip which will no doubt come in handy at some stage.

Cheers,

Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]