FORUMS: list search recent posts

TIFF Image Sequences in Apple Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Ford
TIFF Image Sequences in Apple Compressor
on Sep 15, 2010 at 6:16:28 pm

So there is this stop motion project I'm working on and I just received the images from our photographer. All of the shots have been divided up into scene folders containing sequential 16-bit TIFFs. When I create a "new job from image sequence" and attempt to rencode a video clip to pro-res 4444, I get nothing but a few frames of black. Not only that, but the A/V attributes showing for the imported TIFFs are only 48% of their original 4368x2912 size.

Documentation in Compressor for importing image sequences is scant. Does anyone know if it can handle 16-bit TIFFs or if it caps resolutions out at 2097x1398?

I have been rencoding PNG sequences at 1920x1080 successfully over the last few weeks, but this particular set of circumstances is really giving me heartburn.

I would love some insight.

Return to posts index

Timothy Ford
Re: TIFF Image Sequences in Apple Compressor
on Sep 15, 2010 at 7:35:16 pm

* Computer - Mac
* Operating system - OSX 10.6.4
* Software - Compressor 3.5.2
* Source codec - 16bit TIFF Sequences
* Destination codec - Prores 4444
* Destination - Playback from HD. Use in editing

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:51:28 pm

Did you try opening one of the sequences in QT player and export from there? Just as a test to see if there is actually something going on with the sequences.

What is your preferred output format and size out of compressor?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Timothy Ford
on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:39:51 pm

Well I have Snow Leopard and Quicktime X. As I understand it, the open image sequence option is no longer available for this version so I can't really check it that way.

I tried dragging all the stills into a FCP timeline with sequence settings at 30fps and a horizontal resolution of 4096. This is the highest it will allow me to go.

I was hoping to spit some clips out of here, but they will not render or export self-contained movies. It simply reports out of memory. I have 24GB BTW.

Surely this is possible.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:48:14 pm

IF you have Snow Leopard, there is a special install on the disc to allow you to install what is QT 7 Pro...this will give you all your functionality back that you used to have.

Can try that...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Timothy Ford
on Sep 20, 2010 at 8:24:50 pm

Thanks for weighing in Rich. I was not able to locate my Snow Leopard disc so I tried a couple of other routes and got this figured out, at least for my particular application. Here's what I did.

I took all the Raw photos from our DP and brought them back into Light Room. I exported everything as 8-bit TIFFs. I assume compressor caps out somewhere around 10 or 12-bit and 16-bit was just too much. (Overkill for me anyway) Resolution was a greater concern as I need to synth some camera moves on the final video clips without losing fidelity.

I started a "new job from image sequence" in Compressor and set my encoding to the preferred specs. I found that Compressor will report the original AV attributes for the images at somewhere around 2000+ horizontal. I simply went into the geometry pane and changed the values there from 100% of source to the true resolution of the photos.

When the job completed, I had my video clip at my intended resolution with no degradation from up-res.

I tried popping this clip into a 4K sequence in Final Cut. It worked, but promptly crapped out. No matter, I needed this at 1080 anyway. However, the cameras I animated in After Effects worked with the clip perfectly.

Hopefully, this helps someone else up against a similar problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]