FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues compressing Apple ProRes422 to MPEG-2 via Sorenson Squeeze 6

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Crawford Winstead
Issues compressing Apple ProRes422 to MPEG-2 via Sorenson Squeeze 6
on Sep 9, 2010 at 2:18:52 pm

Hopefully somebody can help me with this...

I am running Sorenson Squeeze 6 on a Mac to try and compress some Apple ProRes 422 videos into an MPEG-2 file. The file will be played in a DirectX application, running on a PC with Windows 7. When being played it looks to be heavily compressed, and I need help with some of the compression settings.

Let me get more into detail...

So I have received a Quicktime .mov that has been encoded with FCP using Apple ProRes 422 compression at 720x486 , 29.97 fps, 40.29 Mbit/s , and the file size is 515.7mb.

So, this is the type of file I will have to compress into an MPEG-2, that will be playing on a...

1.6 GHz Intel Atom 330 Dual Core
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M Graphics
1Gb DDR2 800 Ram
32Gb SATA Solid State Drive
Windows 7 Home

Here is what I have done so far on my Mac using Sorenson Squeeze 6 :

I have brought the original file in and created some presets.
First off, I am encoding these MPEG-2 videos using an elementary stream type so I can mux the files using MPEG Streamclip...

Here is a screenshot of the settings I am using in Sorenson :

- I have changed many of the data rate settings as low as 3000 Kbps, and as high as 15,000 Kbps, and the end result looks essentially the same

- The audio isn't a problem, so I'm not going to address that.

- I have used the crop/deinterlace filter and also not used the filter, and it makes a big difference, so obviously it needs to be deinterlaced.

From there I will get the .m2v file and the .m2a file, and then mux those with MPEG Streamclip.

So, I have done 8 different Pre-sets all with various settings playing primarily with the data rate, and the method from 2-pass vbr all the way to 1-pass cbr.

So again, my end result that is playing back on the windows 7 box (the specs that are listed above) looks to be heavily compressed and pixelation occurs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Crawford and Luke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]