FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 to Flash using ?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
H.264 to Flash using ?
on Sep 6, 2010 at 7:27:42 pm

Hi,

I'm sure this has been raised before, so I apologise if it has.

I am currently converting my video's - shot XDCAM - with FCP to get fantastic quality web video's, but most of my clients want them in flash and they are MOV.

I used to just change the file name extension to .flv from .mov and that worked a treat. However, more recently I have found there to be glitches and sync issues.

I have used iskysoft video converter in the past, but the results have not been as good as the .mov when converted from H.264.

Can't see an option in FCP or Compressor for flash? What do you recommend? And would you compress out of FCP to H.264 then convert to flash or do it raw?

For info, these are my FCP settings:

H.264
Keyframes, every 75
400kbps
best quality
512*288

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: H.264 to Flash using ?
on Sep 6, 2010 at 11:07:52 pm

[Olly Lawer] "most of my clients want them in flash and they are MOV. "

H.264 .mov has worked in Flash since about Dec 2007. Flash H.264 support is extension agnostic. Adobe has promulgated that info as early as August 2007 (while it was in development). A quick Google search would confirm that.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:04:13 am

However, if you foresee that you will be doing a lot of file converting and compressing to other formats it might pay to invest in Episode for Mac which is a complete compression app and actually compliments Compressor on our desktops quite well.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Sep 8, 2010 at 12:39:23 am

It should also be pointed out that MANY web developers, designers and web administrators STILL believe they need On2VP6 .flv files for video to work properly in Flash.

We continually get blank stares and resistance when pushing H.264 files of any type (f4v, mp4 or mov based etc.) to web designers, especially designers who use a lot of Flash on their websites.

We've especially seen this with flash developers who build their own flash video players that subsequently choke when fed H.264 encoded files. We've never pinpointed why this occurs, because we can take these same encoded files and make them play flawlessly using commercially available flash players like JWPlayer and FlowPlayer.

But the fact remains, MANY web designers want flv encoded files for use on the websites they build and administer. That said, we've found that you can get darn good quality using flv with just a slightly higher bit-rate than H.264...usually about 30%. And an flv file will play back on REALLY old computers. As an example, I have a 13 year old Windows 98 computer in my kitchen I use for word processing and email that can play flv files with no problem, but it literally will display about 1 frame every 3 seconds of any H.264 based video file. Yes..you read that right...it will display a still frame every 3-4 seconds of the same flv file it can play back at 30 frames per second.

So there are still good reasons to use flv if compatibility and wide playback reliability are important.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 8, 2010 at 2:00:48 am

[Chris Blair] "We continually get blank stares and resistance when pushing H.264 files of any type (f4v, mp4 or mov based etc.) to web designers, especially designers who use a lot of Flash on their websites."

They must live black boxes. Do they EVERY look at YouTube! It's all H.264. How about Vimeo or Hulu?

[Chris Blair] "We've especially seen this with flash developers who build their own flash video players that subsequently choke when fed H.264 encoded files."

Maybe they should buy upgrades to their Adobe Flash tools.

[Chris Blair] "And an flv file will play back on REALLY old computers"

That would be true but anyone using computers THAT old wouldn't be a target audience for much of anything and any company using computers that old is probably is serious financial trouble. Your typical bargain basement $399 computer should handle reasonable H.264 flash files.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Sep 9, 2010 at 12:59:37 am

You must not deal directly with many web designers, web IT people or web administrators. Just today a web admin for a large, well-known healhfood company called to ask us to re-encode all the video on their site from the original H.264 encoded files to FLV files.

Why? Because she believes FLV files are more universally playable, start-up faster, and stream better than H.264 files.

We get this type of request and/or have this discussion every single week of the year. Are they living in black boxes? Heck I don't know. I'm just letting the original poster know that if they're submitting files to a third party web designer/developer, they could get pushback from them if they submit H.264. We've gotten in the habit of giving web developers both and we let them choose. I'll bet 90% of the time they choose to use FLV despite our hearty recommendations for using H.264.

As for upgrading their Flash Tools...I agree with you. But they're comfortable using what they know, and like many other businesses, companies are cutting back on software upgrades.

I was only using the old computer example as an extreme analogy. I'm not suggesting his target audience is using that for goodness sakes! I'm also not recommending On2VP6 FLVs over H.264, I'm just pointing out that they do stream more easily across a wider range of lightweight hardware.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]