FORUMS: list search recent posts

Did flip4mac kill my compressor settings?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Did flip4mac kill my compressor settings?
on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:25:59 am

I'm exporting HD material from an FCP timeline to create a native reference movie. This I then bring into Compressor and I apply a preset to it that works well for uploading to youtube. The one preset compresses to mpeg2 and includes the audio. Pretty bulletproof setup, until this week.

I do everything as normal, test the reference movie for playback, looks and sounds good, but my compressed files no longer contain audio.

We suspect it has something to do with a recent upgrade to our version of flip4mac, but can't find an actual link beweeen these apps. That was the only thing changed in months, and everything worked fine last week before the upgrade. Flip4mac is for making and playing windows media files, so hard to see why it should mess with quicktime or compressor.

Interested in any ideas, opinions, theories, or even known bug fixes for this. I'd post the computer's stats and compressor version, but I'm not at the office right now. Octocore tower, approx. one version back on everything from the latest version.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Did flip4mac kill my compressor settings?
on Sep 2, 2010 at 2:44:26 pm

What the preset looks like:

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Sep 2, 2010 at 9:17:42 pm

Mark,

Just curious why you would encode as MPEG2 for YouTube? I thought that was pretty much just for DVD assets. Try as H.264

Ciao,
PD

JPD

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 2, 2010 at 9:42:40 pm

Good to hear from you, old buddy. That preset was not my choice, it was imposed on me; today we cooked up a new H.264 preset that's working. Never did figure out what "broke" the audio on the other one, though.

I wanted to try re-installing Compressor by itself, but the Apple disks wouldn't let me do a custom re-install of just the one app. Guess I could try re-loading quicktime pro, but we're up to date on it.

Tomorrow, we will time which method works better for us: direct export from the FCP timeline using quicktime conversion to h264, or going thru Compressor to generate a similar file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]