FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD to H.264 workflow?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maria lopez
AVCHD to H.264 workflow?
on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:58:00 pm

Hi there,

I was given at work AVCHD footage (m2ts files). This was recorded with a Sony HDR CX550 VE. The footage was deleted from the camcorder's drive.

I'd like to edit this footage with Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 to put it on the web and on DVD too.

I have already transcoded some files to HD H.264,ACC (mpeg-4) 1280x720 with Emicsoft m2ts converter for Mac. It took ages to do this. So before I carry on transcoding into something that may not be suitable I have few questions I hope someone can solve.

1. I read that H.264 is not a editing codec so in some forums it is said that is not recommendable editing with a delivery codec. If this is the case, what codec should I use then?

2. I imported the H.264 in FCP and it needed rendering. So I did this

http://proappstuff.com/proapptipsvideotutorials/194F4DC2-ACBB-4DD6-A1D0-F46...

and now I only have to render the audio. Would this make sense?

3. What output settings should I use exporting with Compressor?

a) when editing with h.264 and output for web and for making a DVD? (I have no DVD pro by the way). I did a test and export h.264 using compression settings HD DVD: mpeg-2 30 min.I have no clue of what I am doing but the result was ok and I guess that it might be possible to put it on a DVD. I did another test for web using compression web streaming (quick time 7)H.264 Lan streaming. This doesn't look right at all.

b) when editing with another recommendable editing codec?

I am sorry I have no much idea of video edition so I would very much appreciate a very plain simple explanation of the best workflow in this case.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: AVCHD to H.264 workflow?
on Aug 23, 2010 at 11:31:42 pm

I don't remember if FCP 5.1.4 supported Apple ProRes. Otherwise you might try Apple Intermediate Codec.

Return to posts index

maria lopez
on Aug 24, 2010 at 12:31:19 am

Thanks Craig.

But i'm trying to figure out to what codec i convert m2ts files with Emicsoft converter which hasn't got the option of Apple intermediate codec. Plenty of options but not that one. Streamclip does convert to Apple intermediate codec but it doenst support m2ts files so I had to converted m2ts into hd h.264 first.

nothing makes sense. I need help from the very beginning, meaning that I must convert these m2ts before import them in FC. I have an old version of FCP and anyway in the case i had the last version of FCP, I would only be able to import this footage by capturing directly from camcorder through log and capture window.

so...any idea of what to do?

thanks again.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2010 at 4:31:04 pm

I believe MovieConvertor Studio will convert MTS to Apple Intermediate Codec. If you pay for the license the conversion is much faster.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]