FORUMS: list search recent posts

422 compression redcam&d5

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Tokach
422 compression redcam&d5
on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:24:42 pm

I am currently working on a show that has over 40 r3dcams running per week. This is also accompanied by D5 footage and DV footage. Some of the cams had the bad sound sync, some did not, so we are running using compressor to make everything Quicktime 422. The problem is, we have a week turnaround and that is a hell of a lot of footage to try and transcode.

The bay I am on is a imac with the compressor installed on it. The imac is using a virtual connection to the server and cluster. Our cluster is:

2- 8core i7 rackmounts with 8 gigs of ram
2- 4core i7 rackmounts with 8 gigs of ram
These are clustered together

Our storage is a fastmax 32TB drive
We also have a server with quickswap SATA

We are currently running 4 editing bays off the system. The FCP programs for the editing bays are installed on one of the 8core macs. The compressor is running off the imac drive, same drive as its OS.

We have the source, the destination, the cache and the project on three different drives.

The cluster is set up so all the labs use, all the nodes.

(I am thinking of switching the compression mac so it only see's 3 nodes and drop one node off, allow the 4 editing systems to see all 4 nodes. The theory is that, I can set it to use unmanaged processes without stealing the power from the editors- they would have a 4core that I'm not tapping.)

So, the problem is, this is taking forever, I just did 1 batch and it took 8 hours for 27 clips of mixed media. any suggestions?

Should I be writing to an internal SATA then dragging it to the storage, would that speed it up?

"Oop, I think my render is done!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]