FORUMS: list search recent posts

J2K MXF wrapped JPEG2000 files playback and processing

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Schroeder Eric
J2K MXF wrapped JPEG2000 files playback and processing
on Aug 4, 2010 at 12:52:17 am

Aloha to all,

Wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a player to read JPEG2000 J2K codec MXF wrapper files? I've searched the internet far and wide and haven't really been up to come up with a solution. Front Porch Digital has a SAMMA J2K player but it crashes every time I attempt to engage playback of one of my MXF files:

http://www.fpdigital.com/Products/Migration/Default.aspx?mrsc=SAMMAPlayer

I have a client who is looking to have these generated for archival reasons, and wanted to start a thread to see what others might be doing in this category. I can process these and transcode them in our digital rapids units in house, but our client doesn't have one and I'd like to see if I can't offer him some solutions for playback and or processing should he need to edit them. Anyone have at least a good player option that works?

Return to posts index

Perrone Ford
Re: J2K MXF wrapped JPEG2000 files playback and processing
on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:22:19 am

Sorry,

Just saw this. Does it *have* to be in MXF? If so,I have no advice. But J2K is supported in both the quicktime and AVI containers without issue.

Return to posts index

Schroeder Eric
on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:55:55 am

MXF is the ideal format my client is looking at receiving - however I'm curious what programs one might go about to generate these in AVI and or QuickTime - but ideally I would like to find a player that will utilize the MXF wrapper. I know this is what the Library of Congress is using to archive there projects and wondering how they might play out the files with a standalone player type

Return to posts index

Perrone Ford
on Aug 14, 2010 at 10:19:23 am

I had a similar issue for the purposes of archiving. I serve as videographer for a Govt. entity and needed a viable format for archiving our work that was non-corporate. Jpeg2000 stands out as an excellent choice for this.

I had previously been using Sony Vegas as it had a built-in J2K codec that used the .MOV container. While this worked, I felt it lacked quite a lot because it didn't allow for any control or manipulation of how the codec was used. As I learned more about the power of the codec, I wanted something more fully featured.

Eventually, I purchased the Morgan Multimedia Jpeg2000 codec. It stored the files in an AVI container, but it game access to all the major controls available for the codec. And it was VERY inexpensive. It's certainly not idea, and can be finicky, but it's effective.

There are apparently other implementations of the codec out there (I believe Mainconcept has an encoder) but the problem becomes one of playback.

The benefit of the Quicktime implementation is that any Quicktime capable player can decode the stream and play it back. The AVI container is less standardized as I've found.

The primary drawback of the MXF container as you've noted is that there isn't a lot out there that deals with it. The VLC player (by VideoLan) is what I currently use for my playback of MXF files, but the MXF standard is SO loose, I can't guarantee what will work and what won't. You might try this player and see if it works for you.

For archival purposes, I include a copy of the player, codec, and video files on each disk, so that should that stuff be needed down the road, all tools for opening and working with the files are contained on the same disk. I also keep a low-res proxy on that same archive disk so it's possible to view what's there in an easy manner.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]