FORUMS: list search recent posts

To Make a Good OGG

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Carr
To Make a Good OGG
on Aug 3, 2010 at 10:18:03 pm

I am a Final Cut editor with latest gear and version. I've been tasked with converting 20 short films currently in DVCPROHD 720 24p into OGG for a website.

I have no input on whether OGG is a good idea, something to do with FireFox, I'm just responsible to get it done well. I am also providing the films as sized h264 files, for Safari, etc.

I tried converting one of the files to mp4, then used Miro Video Converter for the test. It seemed to work, although the only playback I could muster was VLC, and it seemed a bit choppy.

Are there professional tools to convert and play back OGG on a Mac? I have done research but want recommends from those with experience.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: To Make a Good OGG
on Aug 4, 2010 at 12:39:40 am

To play ogg in Quicktime
http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

encoding
http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/download.html

I believe this encodes to OGG Theora as well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiVES

There are a few more choices for Windows (above for Mac)

[William Carr] "Are there professional tools to convert and play back OGG on a Mac?"
It depends on what you mean by "professional." Commercial encoders don't support because the license would then make them free. I could say they shot themselves in the foot but it's more like the head.

IMHO they'd be better of waiting for the WebM encoding tools to come out (Episode and Squeeze will both support it) as it's a "nominally" open source codec that FireFox will support with 4.0 (and current nightly builds). BTW I personally don't think WebM will get very far either but it'll keep Mozilla happy and will keep the odd (and I do mean ODD) client that asks for it happy.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:33:48 pm

Thank you very much for the information and also for your informed opinion!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:48:32 pm

Personally I'd advise the client to be forward thinking and support WebM. Professional compression apps will support it as will Mozilla and it will be a major quality improvement over ogg. If you do ogg now, you have the hassle to convert (charing client for it) with poor quality compared to modern codec including WebM so you'd only end up having to do it over again (with another charge to the client) in a few months or live with poorer quality which is simply not good for business/marketing purposes even if you're dealing with a gov't/public foundation committed to open source.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Aug 8, 2010 at 12:38:17 am

Actually the client reconsidered as per advice of the fellow doing the layout/coding. They are not going to do HTML 5 right now, just 4. They will stick to h264 which essentially plays fine across all browsers/platforms they care about.

So although I did the conversions to OGG using Miro and they came out fine, all will be as it was before the HTML 5 alarm.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Aug 8, 2010 at 12:38:15 am

Actually the client reconsidered as per advice of the fellow doing the layout/coding. They are not going to do HTML 5 right now, just 4. They will stick to h264 which essentially plays fine across all browsers/platforms they care about.

So although I did the conversions to OGG using Miro and they came out fine, all will be as it was before the HTML 5 alarm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]