FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorenson Squeeze 6 - thousands of colors

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Marshall
Sorenson Squeeze 6 - thousands of colors
on Jul 28, 2010 at 11:13:29 pm

I just purchased Sorenson Squeeze 6, and thus have the latest version. Running an Intel Mac Pro, with system requirements current for Squeeze 6. Encoding Quicktime files to Windows Media results in WMV files in "thousands of colors", and it is noticeable (splotchy colors, dithering, etc.). Encoding the same Quicktime files using Flip 4 Mac results in WMV files with "millions of colors", and those videos look much better.
There is no selection or option anywhere that I can find in Squeeze to change output from thousands of color to millions. I need to use Squeeze to output a variety of formats, including HD WMVs (which my current Flip 4 Mac can't do). Has anyone else run into this? Is there a workaround?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sorenson Squeeze 6 - thousands of colors
on Jul 29, 2010 at 5:44:34 pm

I only have Squeeze 5 so I was refraining from answering this.

How are you viewing the WMV?
Test on WMP11 or WMP12 (Windows 7) and make sure the computer is set to million of colors.

I'd assume we'd be seeing a lot of this issue if Squeeze WMV itself were completely broken. It may well be a bug but it could be situational (exhibits itself only under certain settings or viewing).

I'm not sure how Sorenson labeled the settings in 6 but were you using a VC-1 or a WMV preset?
If you weren't using a preset, start by testing with a WMV preset. That'll let you know if it's a settings issue.
Also it may be source specific issue but you didn't the source so there was no opportunity to suggest another codec just in case the issue is codec specific.

Please do read the Sticky at the top of the forum - How to get FASTEST compression help - PLEASE READ -
Sometimes lack of response is due to lack of information.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Jul 29, 2010 at 6:12:34 pm

Hi Craig -

Sorenson Squeeze 6 does not have a .wmv preset available... all the presets for Windows Media are VC-1. You can't select .wmv as an option because it doesn't exist. Don't know if this has anything to do with the "thousands" vs. "millions" of colors issue.

I edit on an Intel Mac, compress on a Mac, and view Windows Media files on a Mac (via Flip 4 Mac). I'm on Leopard (approved for Squeeze 6), and, while not at the current version of Quicktime, I am using a version that is also approved for Squeeze 6. My source files are Quicktime, DVC Pro HD.

I am running the latest version of Flip 4 Mac. When I compress these Quicktime files to WMV, they come out in millions of colors. When I compress them using the trial version of Episode, they come out in millions of colors. There is *nothing* I can do, nothing I can set, in Squeeze 6 to make the WMVs anything but "thousands" of colors.

This issue was posted recently on the Sorenson Forum boards from another Mac user... so far there has been no response.

If you have the time or inclination, you might try downloading the trial version and seeing if your results are the same (assuming you are on a Mac?)

Larry

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 29, 2010 at 7:48:24 pm

Actually I'd love to see the WMV itself. That might tell me a lot since I have a few things I can test playback with it on. Any way you can get me that WMV/VC-1 file?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Jul 29, 2010 at 8:01:53 pm

If you can provide me an email, I can send you a short encode. My email is marshallmediagroup@comcast.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]