FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get smaller file sizes with HD compressed footage

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arturo Celleri
How to get smaller file sizes with HD compressed footage
on Jul 20, 2010 at 7:41:33 pm

Hi,
I am wondering how to get my file sizes smaller when compressing.
I am taking 1920x1080 Apple Pro Ress 422 video footage and exporting it with Quick Time Movie, Then I bring in the quick time movie into Compressor and compress using .H264.

My file sizes are way too big...

I wanted to get the video up on mobile me so I imported it to iMovie and then uploaded it to mobile me and downloaded the movie from mobile me and iMovie apparently compressed it to below 1gb.

How do I do that without iMovie using Compressor?

Thanks,
Arturo

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: How to get smaller file sizes with HD compressed footage
on Jul 20, 2010 at 8:02:09 pm

The data rate and duration have the biggest influence on file size.
"too big" is a relative thing and without specifics and target I can't comment on that.
My quick suggestion would be to lower the data rate. If there's a noticeable loss in quality than you'd need to use a smaller frame size and/or lower the frame rate (but I tend not to like loss of temporal resolution).

Return to posts index

Jakub Jaroszek
Re: How to get smaller file sizes with HD compressed footage
on Jul 26, 2010 at 11:40:48 am

Well, if you're aiming for internet then DivX (7, not 8!) could be a nice choice. The quality is kind of ok and file size goes down rapidly. If you want better quality then H264 would be an obvious choice, just lower the bitrate...

Nonetheless if you want high resolution (1080p) AND good video quality then your stuck with big files. No way around that (yet ;P).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]