FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Change Size only in Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Clark
How to Change Size only in Compressor
on Jul 11, 2010 at 11:58:09 am

I don't think this is possible, but I wanted to make sure. I'm playing webmaster for our new website, and I am trying to get the smallest possible file size for our videos.

Some of the videos we have are 1280x720, but will only be viewed on the website at 640x360 so I was thinking I should resize them down to conserve file size. Is there a way I can take the videos into Compressor and change only the physical size with recompressing?

I have seen posts here on the Cow in regards to doing this in QT Pro, but I don't have that program. I was also thinking maybe I could bring them into FCP and export with current settings except change the size, but then I was faced with a myriad of choices I didn't understand (MP4 vs MP4 (ISMA), Basic vs Improved, Data Rate, etc).

Files are MP4s or MOVs. I'm working with Final Cut Studio 2 on OS 10.4.11.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Christian H. Clark
City Limit Films
http://www.citylimitfilms.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: How to Change Size only in Compressor
on Jul 12, 2010 at 2:04:55 pm

FCP includes Quicktime Pro with Quicktime 7.

Certainly you can change the frame size size but I see NO POINT in just changing that only as it will not have impact on file size. Data rate changes file size. Smaller frame size means you can use lower data rate and maintain quality.

It sound like you really need to learn about compression as a complete beginner. It may be why no one has answered hear yet. You're not aware of Quicktime Pro, Data rates, codecs so you're really at a novice level. Start with the manual. There are some good training DVDs available on the COW.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]