FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to convert/compress for broadcast dubs

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Grimson
Best way to convert/compress for broadcast dubs
on Jul 9, 2010 at 4:59:25 pm

I delivered my completed project to a dub house and now have a question as to what is the best deliverable and work-flow or if there is a difference in how this is done.

My master is a SCQT as DVCPRO HD 60p 23.98fps. They placed my file in an FCP project and are rendering out as 10 bit uncompressed 29.97 to go to a dbeta master for subsequent tape dubs.

My question is: should I have made this format conversion via Compressor and if so would the results be better, worse or the same as how they did it?

I'm just wondering.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best way to convert/compress for broadcast dubs
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:15:45 pm

I'm curious if this is long form (program) or short form (TV commercial) delivery?

Compressor is using the same engine that all Apple Quicktime based apps are doing. Compressor gives you access to more tweaks. I've shoot HD for SD spot delivery and I'll often drop the HD edit in an SD timeline. All my spot delivery is file based though.

Return to posts index

Jon Grimson
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:39:34 pm

It is actually 60 min. of content but is broken down into 7 parts. Are you asking because compressor is faster/slower than rendering out in FCP?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:51:48 pm

Commercial can be delivered file base these days although that's still less common with long form shows.
If they can accept file based delivery (always ask as they may not suggest this upfront) you can skip the dubbing process.

Compressor could be faster especially if you're on a MacPro because you can set up a 4 or 8 instance virtual cluster but if all you're doing is taking your HD timeline to SD, many people drop in to SD timeline because one doesn't have to export an HD master, then open Compressor, go HD to SD there.

There were times where I'd just edit in an SD timeline which would give me the advantage to a virtual track, dolly, shot reposition but I'm doing that less frequently these days as I'm always doing an HD delivery for web.

We live in odd times when we can show a client something in 1080p on YouTube or ExposureRoom yet still have to delivery SD for DVDs and, in some cases, broadcast.

If it's broadcast I'd think they'd be asking for HDCAM unless they are an SD exclusive channel (and people still think 3D is going to catch on FAST?!!).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]