FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV problems

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Jensen
FLV problems
on Jul 8, 2010 at 7:23:49 pm

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if this is a compression problem or more just a problem with the codec used. I'm compressing to FLV's 320x320 w/ 200kbps. The problem that I'm getting is only with red colors. The edges of red objects(ties, shirts,etc.) all have very jagged edges. The video was captured HDV 4:2:0 I believe via Canon XH-A1 firewire 1440x1080 30i. Are the edges from the HDV or from FLV? Like I said, no other color has this problem.

Drew Jensen

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: FLV problems
on Jul 8, 2010 at 8:01:54 pm

Did you use a deinterlace filter when compressing?

Return to posts index

Drew Jensen
on Jul 8, 2010 at 8:03:03 pm

I don't believe so. I was under the understanding that AE deinterlaces when importing the project into a new comp.

Drew Jensen

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 8, 2010 at 8:24:03 pm

AE may not be the best encoder. Export at source resolution or whatever codec you're working in and then encode in Adobe Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Jul 9, 2010 at 3:06:56 am

Red text,red graphics and just the color red in general is notorious for bleeding and generally looking like crap as resolution and color depth decreases. It's also possible that the saturation is too high on he original material We always keep reds to below 75% saturation (as measured in photoshop) on any text and graphics, and typically at 80% or lower on luminance in the original graphics.

We also use red sparingly as a text color or text edge.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Jul 9, 2010 at 7:32:51 pm

You can also try Sorenson Squeeze, it may handle reds better. Episode Pro may be another to try.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Quad-Core Intel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]