FORUMS: list search recent posts

F4V newbie questions

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Evans
F4V newbie questions
on Jul 5, 2010 at 5:30:58 pm

I've been reading all the other posts about F4V and I'm still confused about a few things:

F4V is just a wrapper for H.264 in the same way that MOV is for Quicktime. But how does that translate to output?

I have Squeeze 6, which seems to say it has output support for F4V (according to their site), but I can't seem to find any definitive answers of how to create the F4V files?

I know these are probably simple answers but all the reading I've done only tells me that it supports H.264. Does that mean that I could use a Flash 9 .mp4 setting and it will do the same thing?

Long story short, I need to create F4V, do I have the tools I need?

Thanks

Dan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: F4V newbie questions
on Jul 5, 2010 at 5:39:47 pm

The wrappers can have some impact on the metadata. H.264 .mov and .mp4 also work in Flash. Adobe Engineers say that at some point there may be changes that involve the metadata. Personally I find H.264 .mp4 safer given that such file can also be used in HTML5 when the time comes.

In Squeeze just look to see if they have any Flash 9 presets. H.264 .f4v is often referred to as Flash 9.

Return to posts index

Dan Evans
on Jul 5, 2010 at 6:23:53 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

So I've tried the Flash 9 settings and it all seems to make sense there. Since my client is asking for F4V, do I just need to explain the forward thinking HTML5 compatibility to them?

Or is there still a reason that they could only use F4V's?

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Jul 9, 2010 at 7:39:11 pm

We actually have had a tin of F4V topics already discussed in Craig's responses to them, many of them I've posted, so for more F4V info that may or may not have been posted, check out a search on this forum under "F4V". Lots of links and explanations all over.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Quad-Core Intel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]