FORUMS: list search recent posts

m2v duration different on PC vs Mac

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Troy Lanier
m2v duration different on PC vs Mac
on Jun 30, 2010 at 6:18:35 pm

PROBLEM: An m2v file on a mac is ten minutes in length. The same file is only six minutes in length on a PC.

Using Compressor, I encoded an Apple Pro Res file and made it an m2v file.

On a Mac, the original file Apple Pro Res file is 10 minutes
On a Mac, the trans coded m2v file is 10 minutes long when shown in mpeg streamclip and when shown in quicktime

When I take the same transcoded m2v file onto a PC, windows indicates that the duration as 6:00 instead of 10:00. (times approx)

This is becoming a big problem for playback. While the file will play all the way to the end in windows media player (it plays to the credits, saying the actual ten minute mark is six minutes into the movie), I am dropping it into a Samsung player for Large Format Displays. The samsung player also reads it as six minutes long, but it stops at the six minute mark and never shows the end of the video.

Not sure if it was the compression on my end, frame rate, metadata, etc..

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: m2v duration different on PC vs Mac
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:00:58 pm

[Troy Lanier] "The same file is only six minutes in length on a PC. " I'll correct that for you; Windows 'reports' that the file is only six minutes in length.

Q[Troy Lanier] "While the file will play all the way to the end in windows media player (it plays to the credits, saying the actual ten minute mark is six minutes into the movie)"

One of the many reasons why people prefer Mac to Windows.

It's easy to say that it's a problem with windows, which it is, but that's not going to please the client.

Nothing further that I can add, you are not doing anything wrong as far as I can tell.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: m2v duration different on PC vs Mac
on Jul 1, 2010 at 1:15:37 am

What version of Windows and Windows Media Player are you using? Also, have you tried other media players on Windows, like VLC, RealPlayer, KMPlayer, Zoom Player or others? Does it happen on mutliple Windows computers or just the one you're testing it on? We do some .m2v output and I've never seen this on Windows using any media player that works on the Windows platform. Also, try changing the extension of the file to .mpg and see how your media player works. It could be an extension issue.

Additionally, what MPEG2 codec are you using? I don't believe Windows Media Player comes with an MPEG2 codec, so you'd have to have either 3rd party DVD player software or FFMPEG installed for Windows Media Player to even play the file. That codec could very well be causing the issue. Windows Media Player uses a Direct Show Filter to plug into the codecs that are installed on your system, so if you have mutliple MPEG2 codecs, it could be as simple as switching which one is the preferred codec in FFMPEG or in your DVD Player software settings.

Let us know what you find out.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]