FORUMS: list search recent posts

QMaster's odd behavior

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Alaniz
QMaster's odd behavior
on Jun 25, 2010 at 11:03:46 pm

I'm transcoding footage out of final cut using compressor to make a DVD and getting some really weird behavior.

Here's the set-up: 2K ProRes 4x4 edited in Final Cut, timeline options set accordingly, everything rendered. As such, a quicktime reference comes out small and fast (as expected). However, compressor, sending to a QMaster quick cluster (using 12 of my 16 cores to do the heavy lifting and stacked to the gills with RAM) spends an obscenely long time copying all the referenced media to /var/spool/qmaster.

When I export a full quicktime from final cut, it takes about an hour (expected as its a feature length film) and the resulting file size is the expected 250+gb, but qmaster is able to break up the pieces and begin chewing away almost immediately. I've never had a problem with the reference files doing this before and since I set text over the image (for a screener), every last frame of the film was rerendered, so the reference doesn't point to the original media ever.

Here come the caveats and unknowns...
The original media is stored on a GRAID connected via e-sata. The render media and destination for the file out of compressor is in an internal 3 drive, 2TB RAID. The system, applications and user folders live on drive #1 of the internal bays.

Is the internal raid in conjunction with the referenced media what's throwing compressor for a loop and wanting to recopy the entire film to the system drive? Is there harm in moving the spool folder in the qmaster preference panel to something off the system drive and on the internal RAID? Am I missing some glaring issue?

Thanks so much for any help. Please feel free to hit me up if I left out any crucial information.

dennis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]