FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing XDCAM EX1 footage to make an SD DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nel Shelby
Compressing XDCAM EX1 footage to make an SD DVD
on Jun 25, 2010 at 8:51:09 pm

HI,

I need some advice on compressing HD footage to make an SD DVD. I have tried my techniques from HDV footage and they are not working with footage I have shot on an EX1 at 1920X1080i60.

This is what I did...
I went straight out of the FCP sequence to compressor using DVD best quality 90 minute. I change the bit rate to 6.3 for the average and GOP to 7 because it is dance and it seems to help with the motion. That's it.

I also tried Share in FCP 7 to DVD and that looked worse.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Compressing XDCAM EX1 footage to make an SD DVD
on Jun 27, 2010 at 2:31:38 am

Save out a self contained movie from FCP by selecting Export-Quicktime Movie. Choose "Make Self Contained" Audio and Video.

Drag that file into compressor.

You can start with the 90 minute high quality, and I suggest you change the bitrate to 6.3 CBR. Also drag onto the clip the AC3 preset.

Under the frame controls tab turn frame controls on and leave all settings as is.

Submit the encodes.

Bring those to DVD Studio Pro to author a disc.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
Re: Compressing XDCAM EX1 footage to make an SD DVD
on Jun 28, 2010 at 7:52:21 pm

You can also do the following:

1. Save as a Self-contained a QT; compression - "8-bit" Uncompressed, with resolution at 720x480 (16x9) which exports it out SD as a 853x480 (this is a standard wide-screen QT).

2. Drag that "8-bit" QT now into Compressor output to 90min Best M2V/AC3.

3. Or drag the QT into DVDSP and let it do the encoding.

I did a test, where I exported out the 1920x1080p (60i) HDV out same as source, self-contained, and another export, but this time, using 720x480 (16x9) which exports to 853x480 "8-bit" Uncompressed, and I burned DVDs, and the DVDs authored from the "8-bit" self-contained files looked better than the DVD that was authored from the "Same as Source" self-contained .mov files.

Since you are down-converting anyways, let the computer do the down-conversion in the first step, rather than doing multiple exports and compressions. Your "8-bit" Uncompressed file, can also be used as your SD master file. You may also try and export out an 8 or 10-bit uncompressed 1920x1080p, but it will take forever and the file will be massive, and may cause Compressor or DVDSP to choke.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Quad-Core Intel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]