FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making SD DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirill Tulin
Making SD DVD
on Jun 25, 2010 at 4:33:54 pm

Hello!
Sorry If I'm repeating some often asked questions...
I have a huge ProRes video 1355x720 24p which is 56 minutes long. It has a very slow motions there and constantly repeating movements (theatrical performance). I need to compress it and record it to SD DVD.

I have seen some posts here saying that BitVice should be used, but I have and will have only Apple Compressor, MPEG StreamClip (which cannot make mpeg2 I assume) Adobe Encore or DVD Studio Pro in my workflow.

The most stupid question of mine is about PAL and NTSC. Is it still a problem for modern players (I'm in Europe)? I would love not to sacrifice the motion reproduction of 23.98 fps, is it true to be possible with NTSC, only NTSC?

If I understand the workflow correctly:
1) downscale it in MPEG Streamclip? 720x383? Save in the same codec? I am having a double loss here?
2) Import to compressor? There I should stick to manual settings of mpeg-2?
If yes, once again about PAL/NTSC. If NTSC Shall I select 23.98? 16:9 Progressive?
For that type of slow moving footage shall I use Two Pass VBR Best?
What settings for av. bitrate an maximum? Motion estimation? Shall I change the GOP structure from IBBP 15 to smth else? Maybe some other settings? Workflows?
3) shall be just importing the m2v file DVDSP and burning?

Thanks in forward!
Kirill

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Making SD DVD
on Jun 27, 2010 at 2:39:13 am

Here is the recipe I just gave in a post above.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/20/865696

As for PAL NTSC it sort of depends on who will watch it in Europe. If you make it a 23.98 DVD NTSC most in Europe will be able to watch it, and everyone on a computer. Only if you have someone with a very old TV (CRT tube type pre 1999) will it pose a challenge.

Try compressing a shorter clip thru compressor (export a test section maybe 2 minutes long) and see how the encode looks. You will make a widescreen DVD in DVDSP.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Jun 28, 2010 at 8:00:28 pm

Export it out using QT Conversion, and export it out with 8-bit compression, change the compression from your current one, to 8-bit Uncompressed. Export it out with the resolution set to same as source, o "Current". Export it out with the frame-rate at 24p, the try another test and export it out as a 29.97. Then, on your third test, try exporting to 23.98. After you have these 3 different files, that have all been changes to 8-bit compression, and these 3 files each should have 3 different frame-rates, 23.98, 24p, and 29.97, go into DVDSP, drag and burn files as 3 DVDs for your test. After they burn, check them in a DVD player, for color, motion, slow motion, and frame-rate jitter or problems, then select the one that looks the best, you will only be able to tell this, once you've tried all 3 frame-rates. This really isn't a compression issue, as I see it, it's what looks good on an SD DVD for playback.

Hope this helps,

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Quad-Core Intel

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Jun 29, 2010 at 4:54:05 pm

Kirill, did this work out for you then?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Quad-Core Intel

Return to posts index

Kirill Tulin
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:06:24 pm

Hi everybody, thanks for your replies. I made few tests and the following method proved to be the best and looks really nice. Resize initial file to PAL standart in MPEGStreamclip and export as uncompressed, convert using compressor to mpeg CBR 8 Mbit author using Encore. Looks really good both on computer and two of my DVD's attached to old-style TV set and to the projector.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]