FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best mp4 settings in Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Hertz
Best mp4 settings in Compressor
on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:49:39 pm

Hello! I'm sure this question has come up numerous times but I've spent the past half hour searching through a the forums and have only found a few bits of information.

Bottom line - my mp4 encodes out of Compressor look terrible. I've tried almost a dozen different settings tweaks and still can't seem to find anything good enough. My main goals are to achieve a web playable file at 640x360 using a .mp4 extension, H264 compression, and an average bit rate around 750. My original file format is ProRes 422 1920x1080 60i. OS is 10.6.3. Compressor version is 3.5.2. And I'm encoding on a Mac Pro 2 x 3Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 10Gb RAM.

I have to output 3 different formats for a client for every project we do - which is multiple a week. The DVD and .mov files I'm sending out look fine. But I'm having to separately take each file and run it through another software package to get a clean MP4. It would REALLY help my workflow if I could come up with an mp4 encode setting directly in Compressor that would let me batch everything at one time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Don Hertz
AC Media

Return to posts index

Miriam Lefkowitz
Re: Best mp4 settings in Compressor
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:36:27 pm

I am certainly a novice at the fine art of compressing but I used the preset for mp4 in the format tab in Compressor, uploaded the file to Vimeo and it looked great. The file was not compressed very much. It pretty much stayed the same size as the QT movie I exported from FCP. This preset was suggested by David Weiss (thank you David!!)

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/200/887346

I don't want to hijack your thread here, but what is the difference between having mp4 compression and a mp4 extension with H.264 compression. Why does Vimeo suggest using H.264 codec but they want a mp4 file?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]