FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor export for Vimeo; 50i to 30p

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Dolan
Compressor export for Vimeo; 50i to 30p
on Jun 23, 2010 at 8:06:35 am

Per the sticky at the top of this forum, "How to get FASTEST compression help" I offer the following info;

• Computer - Mac Pro Quad Core 2.26 GHz w/ 8GB Ram
  • OS - Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573)
  • Software used - Compressor 3.5.2
  • Source codec - Sony XDCAM EX1 1080i 25fps (not sure of the exact codec name)
  • Destination codec/use - For Vimeo, per their requirements; deinterlaced, 720p 30fps mp4 preferred

So as you probably figured out by looking at the above info, I've exported a 50i .mov from FCP, whose timeline is set to match the source footage, using 'Current Settings' on export.

When I attempt to create the .mp4 file with Compressor, set to match Vimeo's requirements (30fps, 720p,) the estimated completion time is somewhere north of 7 hours for a 10 minute video.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a recommended Compressor setting for optimum Vimeo playback? -Or is my source codec the problem? I'd just upload the original .mov file to Vimeo and let them do the encoding, but it's a 3 gig file which would take forever to upload with my slow connection.

Thoughts/ advice?

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressor export for Vimeo; 50i to 30p
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:07:39 pm

There's no reason to change the frame rate. Just deinterlace. Vimeo will handle 25p just fine.
In Compressor target 5000kbps for video and 128kbps for audio. Multi Pass. Frame Reording. Frame Controls On Deinterlace Better. "Them's" the basics. Free accounts have a max of 500MB per file (and per week). Premium accounts is 1GB per file and 5GB per week.

Return to posts index

Chris Dolan
on Jun 24, 2010 at 5:35:18 am

Thanks Craig.

I wanted to change the frame rate because I've heard about the playback differences between Vimeo US and Vimeo Europe/Asia. We're in Beijing now, and the footage was shot in 50i but I wanted to encode it for US playback. Does that even matter now? Will 25p still play in the States? I actually ran it through Compressor at the original frame rate, deinterlaced, and it still took over an hour to encode. (It's only an 11 minute video.)

Thanks for the tips on settings. How does one set the target bit rate to 5000kbps? The available settings in the Inspector pane for .mp4 are 'Low VBR,' 'Medium VBR,' 'High VBR,' and 'Constant at,' which only goes up to 2,048kbps.

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 24, 2010 at 9:02:43 am

[Chris Dolan] "a. We're in Beijing now, and the footage was shot in 50i but I wanted to encode it for US playback. Does that even matter now?"

Never did. Computers don't care beyond whether it can handle the frame rate. In fact at one time Vimeo could handle PAL 25 but could not handle NTSC 30 so if you uploaded at 30 it would force to 24 (and did a bad job of it too) but there was never an issue the other way around. Vimeo will play at the frame rate you send it up to 30fps (It'll lower 50p or 60p so best to shoot at 24p, 25p, 30p as Vimeo likes all of those).

Also never shoot interlace for the web if that's your target.

[Chris Dolan] "Thanks for the tips on settings. How does one set the target bit rate to 5000kbps? The available settings in the Inspector pane for .mp4 are 'Low VBR,' 'Medium VBR,' 'High VBR,' and 'Constant at,' which only goes up to 2,048kbps. "

What are you compressing with? Any decent compression app should allow you to target bit rate. Ideal is 5000kbps 2 Pass VBR or Multi Pass VBR. If all you have is Low, Medium, High, try High, That Constant number is too low of HD.

Episode, Squeeze, Qucktime Pro, all cross platform. On Windows Expression Encoder does H.264 in the paid version but it's an inexpensive solution.

Return to posts index

Chris Dolan
on Jun 24, 2010 at 1:42:24 pm

Thanks for the clarifications...

Per my first post, I'm using Compressor. -A professional app like this should allow whatever bitrate you want, but I can't figure out how to set it for 5000kbps for mp4.

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

Ben Ihloff
on Nov 9, 2010 at 6:13:33 pm

I'm having the same problem. It only allows you (in the latest version of Compressor) to go to 2048 constant bit-rate. However, Vimeo recommends you use 5,000 for HD video at 30 fps. Anyone have a solution? I'll keep working on it.

Return to posts index

Ben Ihloff
on Nov 9, 2010 at 8:50:47 pm

I found the answer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]