FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio out of sync, exporting DV NTSC

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
Audio out of sync, exporting DV NTSC
on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:02:37 pm

Fellow Creative Cow Users

I captured a mini-DV tape via firewire into FCP. Sometimes the audio is out of sync, I go in and align it and the rest of all the audio is in sync, then export to QT or m2v for DVD Authoring. I've done this billions of times.

Now, I've got a time-line with an 18 minute clip that any time I try and export the file, the audio is out of sync in the export, but it remains in sync on the FCP time-line. To make things more weird, I had some lower thirds last night that - in the export - they showed up 2-3 seconds before they were supposed to, but on the time-line they were exactly where they needed to be! I moved the lower-thirds a few seconds "later" and in the export, they were appearing where they were supposed to be, weird huh?

Ok, so. I've tried to isolate the areas where I feel the audio is going out of sync, and editing it, so that the audio is definitely aligned properly, and export just a 5 or 10 second area, and it is out of sync. Should I try and move the audio 5-10 seconds delay, and export it and hope that the audio finally aligned correctly?

My next idea was to export just the audio out as a AIFF, as one file, import it, replace all audio in the time-line, and use this newly created AiFF, lined up the audio, re-exported it, and audio is STILL out of sync as if I did nothing different.

I then an in the process of exporting only the video, as a DV/DVPRO - NTSC, 29.97fps, so to force a new frame-rate into the file, then I'll re-import the newly created (video-only) file, and then add the newly added AIFF, and see if I can line them up and export something in sync.

Can anyone speak to this? Anyone have this problem?

Tom

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Quad-Core Intel

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Audio out of sync, exporting DV NTSC
on Jun 19, 2010 at 2:12:55 am

Go to the bin and check out the frame rate of the clip. If you digitized via firewire and had the digitizer set to ignore timecode breaks and other anomolies it might have drifted a bit causing this behavior.

If your clip properties show an odd frame rate like 29.64 or something like that you might have to redig.

Also, what is the sequence setting? Did you match the clip when you put it into a new sequence, or did you make the sequence then add the clip?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
Re: Audio out of sync, exporting DV NTSC
on Jun 28, 2010 at 8:05:23 pm

Yea, the sound had drifted off in capturing it all. I ended up importing a separate audio clip into DVDSP, deleting the portions that were out of sync, and using the newly imported audio to sync with parts that needed it, it actually worked, I didn't know you could do audio like I did in DVDSP, so that was cool. It took some time to find the right portions to replace, but since you cannot slice or cut in DVDSP, I imported the msae audio, but just moved it up or down the time-line a little. Thanks for your response!

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Quad-Core Intel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]