COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alice Shindelar
Image Squished Exporting Using Compressor
on Jun 18, 2010 at 4:40:55 pm

Hello,

I'm very much so a beginner at this.

I'm using a imac running OSX 10.6.3 and FCP Studio Pro 6

I'm trying to export a sequence from FCP using Compressor to burn to DVD using DVD studio pro and the image is always squished. Does this have to do with anamorphic video?

The sequence custom settings are:

Custom 16:9: 544 x 306
Apple Pro Res 422
Pixel Aspect Ratio : NTSC-CCIR 601 (720x480)

In compressor I'm using the DVD: Best Quality 90 min setting.

Any ideas why I keep getting a distorted image?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Image Squished Exporting Using Compressor
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:33:27 pm

Is this what you see when you put the DVD into a DVD Player?
Why are you using 544x306 source? Do you have a 16:9 master that fits into one of the normal video frame size specs?

Return to posts index

Alice Shindelar
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:47:17 pm

No this is what I see before I burn the DVD if I export using compressor or quicktime movie. I don't have a 16:9 master. My source is 4:3 DV I'm using these settings for two reasons, because I have a lot of text and still photos that flickered and blurred until I found a post that told me to try setting my sequence to HD and apple pro res, which made them look ALOT better. Then I needed to resize my source so it would fit the HD specs but I didn't want to enlarge the image too much so I brought the frame size down. These where my amateur solutions. . .

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:41:48 pm

Sorry but that workflow is bad in far too many ways to even list. If your source is 4:3 DV you should edit that way. If your photos and text are flickering this issue is there. You need to properly process them and avoid thin scanlines and fonts with serifs.

When you edit with TV as your destination (whether broadcast or DVD) you should always be viewing on a video monitor.

Step one, get NTSC monitor and use computer firewire out through camera or deck to an out that can go into the monitor.
Step two, please learn how to properly scale photos for video.
Step three, learn about scanlines and interlaced video and why small fonts, serifs, thin lines do not work well on interlaced video.
Step four, learn about the difference between square pixels vs non square pixels

The question you're asking shouldn't really exist as a question because there's no proper procedure that should lead you to a place to ask the question you've asked given the specs you posted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]