FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame rate from 24 to 30 and now back.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Robinson
Frame rate from 24 to 30 and now back.
on Jun 11, 2010 at 1:31:20 pm

I am working with a high definition feature movie. It was originally shot in 24p (23.98). However at one point in it's convoluted life, it was converted to 30 (29.97) fps. This resulted, of course, in a pull-down with duplicate blend frames. This digital print was re-imported into FCP and it is all we have. We can't get back to the original 24 fps footage.

However I need to create a 24 fps version of it for distribution. Every time I try, it creates a visible unacceptable movement stutter. I have exported from Final Cut and used Compressor and Quick Time 7 and I get several different results but they usually wind up with some blend frames or dropped frames that I see when I examine it frame per frame.

I just keep trying over and over in a random "hope this one works" approach. It's a huge movie and each attempt takes hours.
Is is even possible to go back to 24 fps from 30?
Johnny

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Frame rate from 24 to 30 and now back.
on Jun 12, 2010 at 4:27:57 pm

[Johnny Robinson] "Is is even possible to go back to 24 fps from 30? "

Yes, there's the crap way - which you've already tried, or the proper way:
http://www.snellgroup.com/documents/brochures/conversion-and-restoration/Al...

You'll need a LOT of money for one of those but you could rent time on one....

Return to posts index

Johnny Robinson
Re: Frame rate from 24 to 30 and now back.
on Jun 14, 2010 at 12:30:30 pm

I solved the problem.
It is all a matter of starting the render from the first frame of the pull down cycle.
I had a 3:2 pull-down on the 30 fps footage. You could single frame through and see the 2 blend frames. The first frame was the first solid frame after the blend frames.
The problem was that this rendered footage was re-editied. At some of the cuts, the first frame was no longer the first one in the cycle.

So I went through and identified each place where that happened.
I cut the section of the movie out in QuickTIme 7 and then saved it aside. I trimmed it to make it 's first frame the first frame of the pulldown sequence.

Then I brought it back into Final Cut and rendered it from 30 to 24 FPS in Pro-Res and Boom! it worked. No blend frames no duplicated frames no missing frames. Just nice clean progressive movement.

I had to do that with each section that had rendered wrong. It was a feature film and had about 6 sections to deal with. It took a long day. I didn't need any special software, Just QuickTime 7 and Final Cut Pro.

Johnny Robinson
Johnny@johnnyrobinson.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]