FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorenson Squeeze Qs

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno silva
Sorenson Squeeze Qs
on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:54:15 pm

I just got squeeze and love it for encoding to Flash.
I have been asked to create an flv with the size 15-30MB (or Medium setting)
Right now the ones I create end up being around 200MB and the original FCP .movs are around 900MB.
Whats settings should i use?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Sorenson Squeeze Qs
on Jun 8, 2010 at 8:01:03 pm

Seriously, with the information (or lack of it) you've provided, your guess us as good as any expert here. Try reading through the other posts on this forum. You'll learn a HUGE amount.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2010 at 8:25:07 pm

The first step is to understand how the settings work and some very basic compression math.

Duration times data rate is roughly file size.
Key is knowing 8 bits to a byte and what Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes are.

Also if the only measure a client can give you is size they may have no clue what data rate they need to reach their target audience.

If someone told you they wanted a 1000 Square Feet room and you created walls that were 2 feet wide and 500 feet long, do you think they would fell the task accomplished if they then complained that 5 people weighing roughly 200 pounds each had to fit in there comfortably with the household furniture and appliances?

Please do the math for the encode and you'll know the data rate range. Then you need to really ask the client what the typical viewer's bandwidth and decoding power might be and then you can decide what you really need to target.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2010 at 8:57:49 pm

[bruno silva] "Right now the ones I create end up being around 200MB and the original FCP .movs are around 900MB. "

Another "trick" question. Your encode is 2/9 ths the size of the original FCP .mov (200MB/900MB)

The upper range of the file size you want to achieve is 30MB. 30/900 can be written as 3/90 which can be reduced to 1/30th. So what data rate is 1/30th of the original file?

I'm not trying to be snarky, you REALLY need to understand some very basic math so you can figure these things out.

and
[bruno silva] "I just got squeeze and love it for encoding to Flash. "
Do you like Spark FLV, On2VP6 FLV, H.264 .F4V equally? Which one would you choose if you needed to preserve an alpha channel? Which one would you choose for best data rate vs quality (efficiency)?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2010 at 9:07:53 pm

Another trick math question.

If a train is traveling at 80mph, how long will it take to go 40 miles?

If a Squeeze preset says the data rate is "traveling" at 500kbps (kilobits per second), what will the file size be if it has a 30 minute duration.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 8, 2010 at 9:28:38 pm

What increases the more you take away?

A hole

;-)

Return to posts index

bruno silva
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:07:58 am

I've been using On2VP6 but I'm very new to flash encoding. I have been able to create a clip the size of 30MB but the quality is terrible. The previous editor, who posted this clip http://www.berdonllp.com/ecast/ was able to pull it off. I've taken the info you put on there and will run some tests.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]