FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Question: Combining Different Materials to Make Best Teaser and then Film EVER

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julia Stein
Compression Question: Combining Different Materials to Make Best Teaser and then Film EVER
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:35:47 pm

Hello,
I'm new to this thing, but have heard good things about this forum. If anyone could help me I would be ever so grateful. This compression issue has been driving me mad for days. I've tried all different forms of exporting, importing, converting, image sequences..........aaaaaagh.

Here are the stats and I will include as many screen captures as possible.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

* Computer - Mac
* Operating system: Mac OS X Version 10.5.8
* Software used including version number
Using: Final Cut Pro Academic- Version 6.0.5, Quicktime version 7.6.4 (518.35), Photoshop CS3 extended-version 10.0.1
Original files were Film footage captured into quicktime: PAL Anamorphic, and then exported at Apple Pro Codec 422 (HQ.), 25 fps.
All other files=animation, NTSC film scratch, even the text generator were imported into quicktime and exported from there at these settings:
Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ)
Quality: High
Framerate: 25
Progressive
Dimensions: 720 x 576 (1024 x 576)

The thing is that they match the sequence settings, and in the canvas sequence-the images looks perfect, but when exported, all files besides the film footage look like crapola. even the text generator file which i find baffling. PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME as to how to fix this issue as this is only the beginning of the project and your help is essential.

Do i need to start over? This is a teaser for a film and its not a big deal to start over..

I am actually going to recapture the film footage soon from a Digital Betacam for the heavy duty editing so if there are any precautions I should take, or settings I should be mindful of-please let me know.

* Destination codec Uncompressed video, (codec: photo jpeg at 100% or ProRes preferred) want it to look as good as the original files.
* Type of destination use: Computer to Projection, DVD, Film copy eventually (I'm working with an editor because of its complications..)

Thanks very much for your help.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compression Question: Combining Different Materials to Make Best Teaser and then Film EVER
on Jun 4, 2010 at 3:51:35 pm

There's lots of undescribed holes in your workflow. Did you deinterlace your video at some point? Did you a conversion of NTSC to PAL that you were happy with. Your screenshot shows DV PAL not ProRes.
Without a workflow description it's not possible to know what is going wrong.

In short, it sounds like you really need to put some thought into getting everything into a common denominator codec and setting.

Return to posts index

Julia Stein
Re: Compression Question: Combining Different Materials to Make Best Teaser and then Film EVER
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:30:30 pm

Great-thanks for your advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]