FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimum Web format

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lloyd Morgan
Optimum Web format
on Jun 1, 2010 at 2:31:18 pm

Im sure this had probably already been covered, but I am trying to get videos online at the best possible quality, but obviously trying to keep the size to a minimum so that it doesnt take too long to load.

It has been recommended to convert to H.264 format, which works well until I upload to the net, and the video does not play. I believe this is due to my mac creating a .mov file, which is not recognised by some video players.

The only format ive found to work is mpeg4, which destroys all quality of the video. As a result ive had to opt to imbed a youtube player on my site. This is not ideal, and i think looks a little cheap.

Can anyone advise. Im currently compressing with Apple Compressor as part of the Final Cut Studio package.

Lloyd Morgan Productions
http://www.lloydmorganproductions.co.uk
Video Production Dorset UK

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Optimum Web format
on Jun 1, 2010 at 3:14:52 pm

[Lloyd Morgan] "Im sure this had probably already been covered, but I am trying to get videos online at the best possible quality, but obviously trying to keep the size to a minimum so that it doesnt take too long to load.
"

Covered and answered excessively. You should know there is no "best." Anymore than you or anyone can claim an all time "best" car or movie or . . .

You target your desired audience. Your job is to know that target, whether dial up to fiber optic (FIOS)

[Lloyd Morgan] "It has been recommended to convert to H.264 format, which works well until I upload to the net, and the video does not play. I believe this is due to my mac creating a .mov file, which is not recognised by some video players. "

Yes to H.264 but this stuff about .mov came to you from where? QuickTime 7.x on Mac and Windows will play it. How well depends on your encoding skills and the viewer's computer. Windows Media Player may not play it though. Flash can certainly play H.264 .mov with proper wrapping as can Silverlight as can HTML5. You have to do the proper player building though. Ultimately H.264 .mov wrapped in Flash should reach between 90% and 99% of viewers depending on whose numbers you view and interpret.

[Lloyd Morgan] "The only format ive found to work is mpeg4, which destroys all quality of the video."

Bull. H.264 is MPEG 4 Part 10. You might be referring to the older MPEG4 Part 2. H.264 .mp4 is very common and commonly recommended.

[Lloyd Morgan] "an anyone advise. Im currently compressing with Apple Compressor as part of the Final Cut Studio package."

H.264 .mov wrapped in a Flash player like Longtail (aka JWPlayer).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]