FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export has thin black line on right of video when using Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Bowman
Export has thin black line on right of video when using Compressor
on May 31, 2010 at 2:43:04 am

First of all I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8 with Compressor 3.5.2, Quicktime 7.6.6, and Final Cut 7.0.2.

I am editing with sequences set to DV 720x480. I am saving reference movies and they are at 655x480 when opened in QT or Compressor. They look fine and look fine in Final Cut as well. My problem is when I export from Compressor using H264 or MPEG 4 codecs. I get this tiny 1 pixel wide black line on the far right of the video. Now, if I export out of Quicktime though I have no problem. Everything looks great.

Has anyone had this issue with Compressor adding this tiny black line? It also has this weird "pulsing" when exported from Compressor to a MPEG4, but it doesn't do it when exported out of Quicktime. It's like every second you see a frame that is more pixelated than the rest. Very strange.

I have 15 videos to do this way, and I'd much rather batch them up via Compressor than to have to do them one at a time in Quicktime Pro.

Any suggestions?

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Export has thin black line on right of video when using Compressor
on May 31, 2010 at 12:29:13 pm

[Eric Bowman] "I am saving reference movies and they are at 655x480 when opened in QT or Compressor"

That's a very odd size, where did that come from?

[Eric Bowman] "I get this tiny 1 pixel wide black line on the far right of the video. Now, if I export out of Quicktime though I have no problem"

What if you apply a crop, is it still there after transcode?

Return to posts index

Eric Bowman
on May 31, 2010 at 3:57:27 pm

I'm using Final Cut Pro 7.0.2...thought I mentioned that. Sorry. That's where I'm getting that 'weird' size but it looks fine. I thought it was a weird size as well, and usually I just stick to 640x480 but for some reason it's always 655x480. Whether I use a reference movie, or do the easier File > send to compressor in final cut. I googled that size and it seems to be a common size or at least a common problem. I'm really not worried about the resolution though, I'm just trying to remove the thin black line on the right.

Crop does nothing...what the hell Apple?! I've tried cropping it by 10 pixels and it still shows up. After testing numerous methods last night, this seems to be a bug in Compressor and Quicktime if I export H264's. If I'm exporting Mpeg4s they look fine out of QT but have the little line in Compressor.

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 31, 2010 at 4:53:33 pm

[Eric Bowman] "I'm using Final Cut Pro 7.0.2...thought I mentioned that"

What codec are you using in FCP?

Return to posts index

Eric Bowman
on May 31, 2010 at 4:58:54 pm

DV/DVCPRO NTSC. Would the codec really matter though? I mean between Uncompressed, ProRes, or DV/DVCPRO NTSC? I would just assume the quality would be different?

I just restarted my machine, did a File > Send to Compressor and constricted it to 640x480 and it removed the black line on the right. I'm able to use h264 and Compressor now. Go figure...I tried this about a million times already. It still shows up as 655x480 in Quicktime Pro, and all the way up until the restart it was displaying at 655x480 in compressor too.

weird.

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 31, 2010 at 7:06:28 pm

[Eric Bowman] "Would the codec really matter though?"

Yes, some codecs are square pixels and others are non-square. DV is non-square. Uncompressed can be either as can ProRes.

Your frame size is not a bug, so restarting will not help, it's just an anomaly with the your workflow but as that's NTSC and I'm from PAL land I'm not going to be of much help with the odd frame size. I think you'll just have to live with the black line, in my opinion it's not actually there but QT is just showing it to be there.

Return to posts index

Eric Bowman
on May 31, 2010 at 9:26:28 pm

Exactly. That's what I mean. I know the difference between non-square, square, and all that jazz. My client started the project and set it to DV/DVCPRO so I'm leaving it there for now. The quality is acceptable, and I have no issues with that so I'm leaving it alone.

The black lines ARE there though. Even when importing into After Effects you do see them. And I know you don't believe me, but restarting allowed Compressor to work exporting at 640x480 as h264. Have no idea why, but it's working now.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I appreciate the help trying to figure this out.

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 31, 2010 at 10:10:38 pm

[Eric Bowman] "The black lines ARE there though. Even when importing into After Effects you do see them. And I know you don't believe me, but restarting allowed Compressor to work exporting at 640x480 as h264. Have no idea why, but it's working now. "

I stand corrected. A strange event indeed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]