FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Pro Res (HQ) in MPEG Streamclip

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Venezia
No Pro Res (HQ) in MPEG Streamclip
on May 30, 2010 at 12:11:26 am

In MPEG Streamclip v1.9.3 I can't find the option to export to Quicktime as an Apple Pro Res (HQ). I'm puzzled, because I've been reading people reference this specific codec on message boards, and have seen it done via online tutorials.

I will open MPEG Streamclip, open any movie file, select File, select Export to Quicktime, select Compression - but the list only contains Apple ProRes 422 (listed twice, oddly enough).

I've tried updating software and looking for updates on the Streamclip site, to no avail. What am I missing here?

General computer and software specs are:
iMac 24" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OS 10.5.8
Quicktime Pro v7.6.6 (1632)
Final Cut Pro v6.0.6
MPEG Streamclip v1.9.3b3

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: No Pro Res (HQ) in MPEG Streamclip
on May 30, 2010 at 4:12:10 am

You have FCP 6.0.6. FCP 7 added additional ProRes codecs. MPEGStreamClip uses what's available to it in Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Mike Venezia
on May 30, 2010 at 7:31:05 am

Thanks for the response.

Follow up question - since I can clearly see the (HQ) is available in my Final Cut Pro, does that just mean Streamclip can't read it in this earlier version? Or is that what the second ProRes on my list in Streamclip is?

Here's what I can see in Final Cut when I export...

And here's what I see in Streamclip (and is either of these higher or lower quality?)...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 30, 2010 at 3:22:46 pm

On my FCP7 System all my ProRes codecs have distinct labels.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 30, 2010 at 3:29:27 pm

I found FCP 6.0.6 on one of my systems and MPEGStreamClips shows to undifferentiated ProRes listings. Perhaps one of them is HQ after all. Do a short encode with each and see what Quicktime or FCP itself identifies each as.

Return to posts index

Mike Venezia
on May 31, 2010 at 2:35:22 am

Indeed, the second ProRes listed exports as HQ! Thanks for the suggestion to try that. Would've been nice if they just labeled it fully from the get go, but at least now I know - thanks again.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 31, 2010 at 3:39:28 am

Odd that it's correctly labeled with FCP 7 but not 6. It's cosmetic but obviously confusing. Even I was unsure about this given my initial response. My guess it's just a metadata issue in the Quicktime component for ProRes that existed with 6 and was fixed with 7.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]