FORUMS: list search recent posts

quicktime to avi mpeg streamclip delivers black screen - what gives?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
angela anderson
quicktime to avi mpeg streamclip delivers black screen - what gives?
on May 27, 2010 at 4:11:33 pm

i just tried to convert a quicktime (768 x 576, 25fps, h.264, no audio) to an avi file using mpeg streamclip for playback on a windows machine. i used the exact same settings (including h.264 codec) for the avi export, and what i got was a slightly bigger file with a black screen ()in quicktime, it was white in mpeg streamclip). can anyone tell me why this is happening and what would be the best bet for encoding a .mov to .avi with the likely chance that it would play on a windows machine?

This was done in a pinch for a friend for her exhibition (like, an hour before) and know nothing about this windows machine and it's playback capabilities, let's assume default windows...

i did this on my old macbook (2.0 ghz, 1g ram), i have mpeg streamclip 1.9.2 and perian, which might be outdated...can't figure out how to see what version it is.

thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: quicktime to avi mpeg streamclip delivers black screen - what gives?
on May 27, 2010 at 4:38:56 pm

H.264 does not mix well with avi.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 27, 2010 at 4:57:10 pm

See this post
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/20/865446
or read through the thread.
If you read the threads I was quoting from it does mention that apparently some people are using H.264 AVI and it can be played back but I believe one must have plugin/player that can do this, installed (although the exact thing escapes me now).

Return to posts index

angela anderson
on May 28, 2010 at 8:57:05 am

Hi,
thanks, i did read through that thread but it didn't really answer my question. I'd like to know what codec to use to create an avi that could be played by most windows machines. I actually realized that this file was going to be played on a lcd monitor and then i really started to wonder what codec would be used. any suggestions? and then what program to use - mpeg streamclip? thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 28, 2010 at 6:03:13 pm

Why not keep it simple and use WMV9.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on May 29, 2010 at 2:51:42 pm

The end user with the Windows machine would likely need FFMPEG and FFDSHOW installed in order to play the resulting file. They're both free, open-source utilties that add all kinds of codecs and direct show filters so that Windows systems can playback just about any codec out there. But...they can be very confusing to setup and can mess up or change how various media players function.

There's also a direct show plugin that would allow a Windows system to play any Quicktime or H.264/mp4 file directly in Windows Media Player, KMPlayer, BSPlayer and a few other Windows based media players. It's also free and can be found here:

http://www.medialooks.com/products/plugins/quicktime_plugin.html

So if the Windows machine has this plugin, it can play just about anything that a Quicktime based application can output.

One question, can Quicktime play the resulting AVI file you're creating? If it can't, it might not be a codec or direct show filter problem but something messed up in the encode.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

angela anderson
on Jun 1, 2010 at 1:19:49 pm

Thanks for the advice, especially the links to the plug-ins. Quicktime (on my mac) plays back the avi file, but what it plays back is a black screen, if that makes sense. There definitely seems to be an encoding issue with mpeg streamclip. But now my question is, if I have to convert from quicktime to avi on my mac, what codec is the best to use? I'm especially thinking about if it's not possible to install codecs on the window's machine (i.e. really last minute...)

thanks!

Return to posts index

Nadia Hausfather
on Jun 5, 2011 at 1:55:15 am

I am having the exact same problem and would love similar advice!

Return to posts index

Andrew Thibeault
on Nov 15, 2011 at 4:55:18 pm

Same here, would love to get an AVI without the Divx watermark on the bottom.

star wipe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]