FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor taking up hard disk space?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Valerie Tracy
Compressor taking up hard disk space?
on May 19, 2010 at 4:59:24 pm

So, even though the destination for the footage being compressed is an external drive connected to my machine, hard disk space is still being drained from the local drive. Why is this? I can't find where compressor is sending these 'ghost files,' as they're not named anything close to what the actual files are called. Nor can I find any backup or local drive usage options in the compressor's preferences.

Help?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressor taking up hard disk space?
on May 19, 2010 at 5:23:58 pm

Apple keeps many of the inner workings of Compressor hidden but I wouldn't doubt that it's creating a temp file.

Encoders such as Episode allow the user to set the temp folder in preferences. The temp file can vary with settings and codec but two pass encodes and certain process filters create very large temp files.

I can't say if Compressor is behaving the exact same way but I don't doubt it's something like a growing temp file.

What codec, settings, filters might you be using?

Return to posts index

Valerie Tracy
Re: Compressor taking up hard disk space?
on May 19, 2010 at 5:34:57 pm

It's a pretty straight up mpeg4 - mov conversion to create usable files in FCP. The codec is Apple ProRes 422 for Progressive with Chroma filtering enabled. The footage itself is 720p at 60 fps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]