FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD sequence to SD DVD problems

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
HD sequence to SD DVD problems
on May 14, 2010 at 2:16:06 pm

My HD sequence looks perfect on my playback monitor in FCP, however the problems start when I make a SD DVD from a HD sequence. I have to render the HD edited program in a standard Def. sequence before sending to compressor.

That said, at my coorprate gig I shoot F350's in XDcam HD and from that timeline I can export SCM and import to compressor with great results.

However, at home I go Z5u through Kona directly to prores. If I export the edited SCM and then import to compressor using the "best auality" DVD presets, my resulting DVD looks very bad with sort of an interlacing looking problem (text is not smooth and video quality is bad.) But if I go from HD prores sequence to SD prores sequence (letting FCP do downres) then to compressor, the resulting DVD's look great. I don't think, from what I have read, that this is an entirely uncommon problem.

If there is a better workflow than re-rendering in SD sequence, please let me know. I don't have to do this at my coorporate gig when going from XDcam HD to compressor so unfortunatly I am not sure exactly what the problem really is.

FYI, I do keep it 29.97 all the way through, but it still sucks without the downconversion step. Also, I have not installed the new version of FCS yet, but will do soon.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]