FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Adobe Media Encoder's Main Concept Codec, Questions.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
Using Adobe Media Encoder's Main Concept Codec, Questions.
on May 13, 2010 at 3:50:40 pm

Hey, sorry I'm back. I have another quick question. My source files are 8-bit QTs, that are 720x480(16x9), and I'm using Adobe Media Encoder to encode some files to F4V. In AME, what is better, 1 pass VBR, or 2 pass VBR? I'm using the Main Concept codec, and have done some tests already, and I was wanting to see if anyone had any suggestions on bitrate, etc. If anyone here knows AME pretty well, let me know. I'd use MC's software, but they do not offer a Mac version yet. So, I'm using AME.

Here is a snapshot of the specs of my source video.

Thanks,

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Quad-Core Intel

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Using Adobe Media Encoder's Main Concept Codec, Questions.
on May 14, 2010 at 5:38:35 pm

Your snapshot says the video is 1440x1080. Also you need to provide more info, like what is the final delivery medium and what is the final size of the files (pixel size not file size).

Generally two-pass encoding is superior to one-pass, although a one-pass constant bit-rate can produce excellent results as well at high data rates.

But it's impossible to give you answers without some more specifics.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on May 14, 2010 at 7:14:23 pm

My editing time-line is Sony EX3's 1440x1080p-HDV 60i timeline base.

I output an 8-bit Uncompressed, and use this sizing, shown here.

This source file is an 8-bit Uncompressed and output as a 720x480 (16x9) QT file. This is the file I'm encoding from. When QT opens it, it's default viewing size is like 853x480.

My final video output size needs to be "640x360".

In AME, I tried a 7 minute clip at "2 Pass VBR", "Same as Source" and it was about 12MB, and looked phenomenal! So, I think I'm on the right track, I hope, and set to "2" as the min and 7 as the max bitrates. Looked good.

Frame rate and everything else, I left at the default.

Upper or Lower??, in terms of the 'field dominance', how does that work, and are there other options to consider?

Feel free to let me know if you've got more suggestions.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on May 14, 2010 at 9:19:48 pm

If a 7 minute video looked good at that pixel size and at that final file size...then you're definitely on the right track. We usually shoot for file sizes in the 3-4MB/minute range, so a 7 minute video for us (even for iPhone streaming) is usually about 21-30MB in final size.

You don't want to use interlaced if the final output is on a computer screen...so just do it progressive. If AME has a deinterlace filter, you might try it on the source file and see how it looks in the final render. Do a short test...say 30 seconds before you render the whole thing. It might help get rid of interlace artifacts when there's fast movement in the frame. From out experience, deinterlace filters are hit or miss. Sometimes they help, sometimes they just make the resulting file look slightly blurry depending on the source file. You want to place the filter on the source because you want to deinterlace before the file is sized to the final 640x360.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on May 15, 2010 at 3:24:31 am

Yea, i usually do it in the export to 8-bit first, so I don't have to so it after in AME.

The other things is, we go from a HDV 1440x1080, to an 8-bit uncompressed 720x480(16x9) QT file, so it's techncially SD at that point, a slight down-conversion, then into AME, so that might be where your file is slightly higher in size HD to AME, we are HDV to SD to AME. Don't ask me why we just don't do it right out at 8-bit Uncompressed HD at 1440x1080p, maybe it's because it would be a huge file size at the end (for an HD 8-bit master file) and take longer to export out of FCP, and then take a while to encode it with AME.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]