FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVI codec for PC editing

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tomkins
AVI codec for PC editing
on May 12, 2010 at 7:40:44 am

Hi

I've been asked to supply "Quicktime AVIs" of some raw footage to a client in Beijing who are wanting to edit the clips on a PC (I'm using Macs).

I've been trying to get more information regarding codec/settings, but unfortunately they are being particularly difficult to get hold of.

In the meantime, I thought I might just research whether there is a "common" codec/setting to use in AVIs if you're wanting to edit footage.

Anyone have any suggestions on what that might be?

Cheers
Chris

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: AVI codec for PC editing
on May 12, 2010 at 8:37:08 am

[Chris Tomkins] "In the meantime, I thought I might just research whether there is a "common" codec/setting to use in AVIs if you're wanting to edit footage. "

There's no such thing as a common AVI codec for PC editing.

Return to posts index

Chris Tomkins
on May 12, 2010 at 8:44:40 am

ok, let me rephrase... is there a codec which has a better chance of working on a Windows PC than if I randomly pick something in Compressor?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 12, 2010 at 8:49:35 am

Well you have a choice of Cinepak, DV and Uncompressed. You can forget about using Cinepak due to the quality and Uncompressed is likely to result in far too much data to be transportable but at least the quality won't be affected.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on May 12, 2010 at 5:46:07 pm

Beyond what Daniel lists, the other choices are proprietary, meaning the client would need the codecs on their system to play the file. All the big NLE players make AVI codecs, Blackmagic, AVID, Matrox, and AJA, and they can all be freely found, downloaded and installed.

They're also a better choice quality wise, since DV throws out half your color, then compresses your video 5:1.

Matrox has a DVCPro50 codec that's excellent (4:2:2 color and 3:1 compression), and Avid has some excellent compressed codecs as well. But as Daniel points out, the only "sure things" are the three he lists. There are also other DV codecs that are better than the standard Microsoft DV codec, which is awful.

Sony, Canopus (Now Grass Valley) and Matrox all have much better quality DV codecs for AVI files and they too are freely available I believe. Not 100% sure about them but I know we have them on our systems and I don't recall buying them.

Getting more info from the client and finding out specifically what they use/need would be the best solution.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 12, 2010 at 6:34:36 pm

I don't think the Matrox DVCPro50 codec is available anymore, at least it wasn't when I tried to find it last year.

FWIW, we now use the Blackmagic codec excusively for material that has to be trancoded from something else like HDV.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on May 12, 2010 at 10:39:31 pm

You can still find it as part of those "codec packs." You can do an install and select only the Matrox DVCPro50 codec (it's sometimes generically listed as Matrox DV) and you've got it. It's a very nice codec and gives you file sizes at about 7-8MB/sec.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 12, 2010 at 10:58:33 pm

It's all very well listing all these codecs but the OP will still be playing a guessing game with his client, therefore he's better off giving them uncompressed if they won't give him anymore information!

BTW: DVCPro50 is an intra frame format that is 50Mb/s (which equals 6.25MB/s, not 7-8MB/s). It's not variable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]