FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 'stalling'

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Clayton
Compressor 'stalling'
on May 11, 2010 at 3:59:56 pm

Hi all,

I don't often do video work, but I was working on a project this past weekend and ran into a problem with compressor that I have not experienced before.

I was working with my file that I output from After Effects (6 mins long, Animation codec) and I was using Compressor to ready it for DVD Studio Pro to burn to DVD. I was using the settings for HD DVD, 90 mins (with no changes to any of the properties) and outputting it to my desktop. I had no other programs open and I submitted the job to Compressor.

The job began with no problems. The batch monitor reported an estimated completion time of just under 1 hour and the progress bar was climbing. I left the computer and went off to do other things. About 30 minutes later I returned to check the progress and the bar was at 30% completed and the estimated time had climbed to over 15 hours and was climbing steadily. I continued to watch the time climb until it hit about 40 hours and I cancelled the job...and it wouldn't cancel...So I restarted.

I resubmitted the same job, same settings and it stalled again at 30%, with the time continuing to climb. Restart again.

I resubmitted the job, this time using the settings for best quality SD DVD...and the progress climbed steadily, with an estimated completion time of 15 minutes. Left the machine and went to bed. In the AM, returned to see it stalled at 60% with an estimated completion time of 42 hours.

Moved the original file from AE to MPEG Streamclip and it rendered out in less than 5 minutes...so I am thinking it's not a problem with the file, but a problem with Compressor. By the way, Compressor and the batch monitor never freeze. They are always responsive and I do not get the 'spinning beachball'.

Can anyone shed some light on what may be causing this? I am using a 2.4Ghz iMac with 4 Gigs of RAM. No other programs running and 140GB of free space on the drive.

Should I just stick with Streamclip or is there something I can do to 'fix' Compressor?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]