FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Type for Wide Distribution

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Figatner
Compression Type for Wide Distribution
on May 8, 2010 at 9:28:00 pm

Greetings everyone,

I've produced a video for a band that they would like to include as an extra on their newest album. It's about 8 mins long and was shot in DVCPROHD 1080p24 and edited in Premiere CS4. To fit with their music, I'm going to need to compress it to approx 200MB.

I've had some very good results with the Adobe Media Encoder and WMV compression- I shrunk it to 1280x720 and had great looking files and very small sizes; however, I'm worried about distribution and access if the user has a mac (let them eat flip4mac!). The .h264 files that I render from my PC don't look as good as the wmv, probably because quicktime is foreign to us PC'ers. I've read many people suggesting flash, though is that appropriate for a standalone file on a CD? Would this be a .swf or .fla or .mp4?

Any suggestions on cross-platform file access without sacrificing too much quality? I'd really like to go with the wmv but I'm sure a lot of you may disagree...

Get to the choppah!!!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compression Type for Wide Distribution
on May 9, 2010 at 1:49:29 am

[Josh Figatner] "I'd really like to go with the wmv but I'm sure a lot of you may disagree... "

I would too. Go with MPEG-4.

Return to posts index

Josh Figatner
on May 9, 2010 at 7:27:38 pm

I see, and what container do you recommend? .mov? .avi? .mp4?

Get to the choppah!!!

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on May 10, 2010 at 1:39:19 am

One potential drawback to H264 is a lot of Windows users don't have native video players to play it. If they have Vista and below, unless they download a 3rd party media player (like VLC), they won't be able to play the file.

One potential solution is to create a simple HTML page with a flash player to play that H264 file. That would allow all Windows users to play it, as well as Mac and even Linux. They just open the HTML page in their browser and play the video.

We created a CD like that for a client and made the HTML page autorun when the CD was inserted into any computer. There are freebie utilities that are pretty easy to use to do it. You could even make the HTML page have two simple links, one to play the muusic from the CD using the users's default media player, and another link to load and play the video from the flash player on a 2nd HTML page.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]