FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best settings for compressing short movie to internet?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Oshman
Best settings for compressing short movie to internet?
on May 6, 2010 at 5:03:35 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I had a question about some compression issues I've been having. I have a short film that is about 9:20 in length that I want to put on the internet on Vimeo. The file is about 10 Gigs as a Pro Res file and I'm trying to find the best way to convert it for the internet to try and get it under 500 MB for Vimeo.

So, what kind of compression should I use? I'm working in FCP 6 and have access to compressor as well. What compression type should I use (H264 or MPEG-2?) and what settings should I use to try and get this file down to <500 MB and maintain as much quality as possible?

If you need any more information about the file or anything, let me know, I'd be happy to get it. Thanks!

Jason

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best settings for compressing short movie to internet?
on May 6, 2010 at 5:30:38 pm

Generally Vimeo recommends 1280x720 at about 5000kbps H.264 codec for HD.

I'm not sure why people don't grasp this concept but file size is primarily controlled by data rate. It's really just basic math. kbps (kilobits per second) times the number of seconds is the total number of bits (which you can convert to MegaBytes or GigaBytes)

It's like if your car is going 50 Miles per Hour, what distance will it travel in an Hour?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]